Thread curtains in the interior: tips, photos, materials
Original ideas for home decoration find a new embodiment, including curtains-threads in the interior of a modern home. Sliding rope curtains on the entrance doors of some African and Asian peoples meant that not everyone was allowed to enter. They separated the chambers of the masters from the prying eyes of commoners and servants, created a shadow at the entrance and a kind of barrier. Through the curtained doorway, it was easy to exit with ammunition in both hands, pushing aside the hanging bamboo or wood elements. Today this idea has found many adherents in decorating interiors of different styles..
Black and white thread curtains
Range of curtains from hanging elements and their functionality
Light thread muslin, freely transmitting light and air, has found a modern embodiment in different qualities:
- window blinds;
- original decor;
- method of zoning premises;
- isolation of personal space in the common room.
You can buy such a window accessory or do it yourself. On sale there are sliding models and with fixed placement. Thread curtains, narrow ribbons and hanging beads have something in common – instead of a solid curtain, a curtain of separate falling elements is formed. They are used by:
- as an alternative to curtains;
- as a window decoration;
- for a doorway instead of curtains and doors;
- for zoning (instead of a screen).
This is a great solution when you want something original in your interior design. Separating curtains can hang from the eaves in a continuous “rain”, as they are sometimes called, and separate strips can be used to organize a decor in the form of a lambrequin. Picking up on hooks or hairpins, like hair, it is easy to make an ornament for ordinary tulle or curtains. Such curtains made of threads look luxurious in a modern interior, moreover, in different versions, as in the photo.
Pink thread curtains
Attention! A ready-made muslin or thread curtain is sold per meter on a wide ribbon that is attached to the cornice. Leaving the desired length, it is easy to cut the curtain just above the floor level and tie each piece with a knot so as not to spoil the weaving. Length correction is carried out after the execution of the “curtain” (braids, pick-ups, re-rolls).
The thread curtain is quite variable:
- any colour;
- density of threads;
- placement on eaves;
- strung decor;
- the length of the fragments;
- smooth or beveled edge;
- combination with other curtains.
Black thread curtains in the interior
Multicolored thread curtains in the interior
It is possible to choose any option for attaching to the cornices, changing the look of the thread veil.
- To make the “rain” three times thicker, you can sew up the ribbon with bow folds before placing it on the cornice.
- Pierced with eyelets, the strip guides the threads in waves.
- On the “string” cornice, the base can be threaded along the edge, piercing through 1-2 cm.
- Sewing with a sleeve and threading a thin cornice is easiest if there is no other attachment.
- The curtain is put on a special curtain tape for hooks – the usual position.
Reference. The thread version is called “muslin” or “rain”, from metallized threads – “strings”. Kiseya is a lightweight fabric of rare weaving, now it is not produced, but this is how they began to call light curtains.
It is easy to find a lot of different options on sale or build it yourself:
- colored curtains;
- monochromatic curtains of any shade;
- fibers of different quality (natural, synthetic and metallized yarn);
- patterned proposals (beaded or wooden panels);
- strung decor.
Attention! Thin muslin is produced mainly for window decoration or zoning. Large solid fragments are more suitable for a doorway. Rare items can be used for various interior decorations, for example, thread curtains in the interior of the kitchen. They are braided, draped, gathered with a hairpin, thrown over, shortened for a rounded or beveled edge.
For cat lovers, this is not the best opportunity to wean their pets from climbing fabric curtains to eaves. With sharp claws, they can damage the structure of the threads, you will have to shorten them in any order. In addition, animals show great interest in the movable threads that are swayed by the draft. Small children “taste” them and try to tear off the “pretty string” with beads. Perhaps, over time, children and pets will get used to thread muslin, but the first experience will be disastrous for such a decor..
Red thread curtains
Sheer thread curtains
Advantages and disadvantages of thread curtains
Curtains made of separate threads (ribbons, ropes) differ in a lot of advantages:
- produced from practical materials with a dust-repellent impregnation;
- do not require ironing and frequent washing;
- easily fixed;
- eaves of a special shape are not needed;
- easily ventilate rooms without pulling back like curtains;
- limit excess sunlight;
- minimize drafts;
- keep insects from entering the room.
These filament curtains in the interior of the kitchen get dirty quickly, but they are easy to wash in a mesh bag or in braids. Decorative elements are vacuum cleaned from top to bottom, collecting strands at the bottom with an elastic band, adding a weighting agent. If in doubt, you can have it dry cleaned by a specialist.
String muslin is much more practical than a solid window veil. They do not need to be moved along the cornice to open a window or balcony door. Passing through a door curtain made of bamboo, wood or glass beads, you do not have to grab your hands in order to fold these fragments, especially when you need to bring in something..
White thread curtains in the interior
Beautiful thread curtains in the interior
Attention! Psychologists recommend curtains made of threads in the interior for those who have a fear of a closed space, but also need to isolate their personal space. The permeable curtain creates the illusion of demarcation, while it is easy to observe what is happening from your bed or sofa, fenced off with thread decor.
Stylistically, they are also very variable – they easily fit into most interior styles, especially in combination with other window decorations. Designers suggest combining them with transparent tulle – as a decor or as an alternative to light translucent fabrics. They are suitable for blinds and multi-layer curtains with a lambrequin. Depending on the distribution method and types of strung elements, rope or thread curtains will modernize the interior of a living room or another room..
In fairness, it is worth mentioning their shortcomings:
- get confused in a draft (can be weighted down with glass beads at the bottom);
- out of place in historical styles;
- attract pets and small children.
These curtains are not produced from every yarn, but only from a strong elastic thread that does not stretch under the weight of the beads. This decor is easy to do with your own hands, and this is another advantage. They are fixed directly to the cornice in the form of a loop with two free ends..
Multicolored thread curtains
Thread curtains in the interior
Common types of filament curtains, their characteristics
During the excavations, threads were found in the form of metal rings of the same diameter. Structurally, this is the simplest veil that lost civilizations mastered thousands of years ago. Today, in their likeness, curtains-rings are made from straw and flexible tree bark. They are used in country houses on doorways..
Rope curtains were once in vogue, they were intertwined with macrame knots. The original knotted panels on the sides and the hanging rain with beaded drops were the original hand-made decor. Due to the laboriousness of the high consumption of a thin rope or rope, they were very rare. Today macrame as a folk craft is practically lost..
Ribbon curtains made of non-flowing fabrics are easiest to make with your own hands, this is the simplest decor from this category. Large wooden, plastic and glass beads are strung on them. The original decor is obtained by stringing with knots according to a certain pattern. Rope and ribbon decor is used not only in residential premises, but also in mini-hotels, bars and creative studios..
Light thread curtains
Thread curtain design
When they say “thread” curtains – this is rather arbitrary. Upon examination, you can see that they are flat and round, as if crocheted, braided or twisted in spirals. Yarn of different quality (natural, mixed and synthetic), different degrees of elasticity. There are threads with woven beads, small sequins, shiny threads.
Typesetting elements on small rings, but they connect different elements of different sizes. Thread curtains look amazing in the interior of the bedroom. These are large sequins, metal or plastic circles, crescent stars, and other figures. Often they have large decor – flowers, butterflies, birds, snowflakes, leaves, etc. Something like small Christmas tree decorations.
A panel of beads with various images resembles cross stitching, where the element has its own color in the general pattern. The drawing is chosen, depending on the style of the interior and the purpose of the curtain. For example, juicy fruits are suitable for a kitchen or summer cottage..
Filament curtains that glow with diode lamps are rare, but this is the most beautiful decor. There is something mystical, attractive in this. They vaguely resemble a Christmas tree garland, but small bulbs are protected by a capsule, for example, in the form of a crystal bead. There are solid and colored options. Such a curtain can be made from a garland on your own if there is an electrician education, but it is difficult to find large beads with a wide passage for protected wires.
Purple curtains in the interior
Beautiful white curtains in the interior
Mixed models are also popular – from different elements or materials
Today you can buy ready-made curtains from oblong fragments or do it yourself, suitable:
- small wood blocks;
- large crystals and sparkles;
- wine corks;
- crocheted items;
- thin metal plates;
- old CDs;
- artificial flowers;
- plastic butterflies;
- homemade ceramics (beads);
- the remains of a crystal chandelier;
- small Christmas tree toys, etc..
Inlaid patterns made of wooden, ceramic, bone or bamboo elements are an excellent door decor in the interior space. Once they were very fashionable, although they were not particularly beautiful. Modern proposals are much more interesting, a real home decoration in ethnic, retro or eco-style.
Black curtains in the interior
Golden curtains in the interior
A curtain made of shells on a thick fishing line is one of the most picturesque decorative elements, thanks to the unique natural material. They are used for design in a marine style in the country and in the apartment. Hanging “nizanki” can be completely of small shells (with large elements at regular intervals) or with gaps in the base. Single elements are fastened with knots with a bead for fixation. This is a great way to “attach” a collection brought from the sea. They are suitable for decorating a bathroom or a teenager’s room..
Advice. If you want to build such a decor with your own hands for any room, review what is at home and what material is worth buying.
Many have large beads, flat wooden bars (or what to make them from), bugles, beads, colored feathers. Pompons, artificial flowers and plastic butterflies are easy to make yourself. The base must be strong and resistant to stretching. Heavy fragments are placed closer to the cornice, light ones – at the bottom. A weight can be sewn along the very edge so that the curtain sways less in the wind. Beads, nuts entwined with yarn, beautiful buttons or tassels, sewn from pieces of fringe rolled into a roll, will do..
Shiny thread curtains in the interior
Multicolored thread curtains
Selection of a variety of color curtains “rain” for different styles
When choosing a shade of rope or tape curtains, you need to focus on the overall design concept or individual elements. But it’s better to use color properties too..
- Warm gamma will give “more sun” on the north side of the house, cold spectrum is used for the southern room.
- Bright curtains will play up the decor of the faceless interior, especially in addition to the new upholstery of upholstered furniture.
- The harmony of a balanced interior should not be disturbed; it is better to add something neutral. If the general background of the room is white, milky, light gray, pale blue or beige, then the refined additions should be the same..
- Contrasting colors are also not always appropriate, but they can shade the usual palette and modernize the situation a little..
Light colored thread curtains
Thread curtains of different colors
Thread muslin perfectly complements the modern interior
- Retro – it is better to take something simple, without glitter and chic, rope or ribbon variations, combined with draperies and curtains ruffles. Curtains made of paper clips with tubes from postcards were in fashion, they are easy to repeat.
- Oriental styles – different materials, the Arab world – the shine of silk threads with crystal beads and tassels, Japan and China use bamboo.
- For a nautical style, curtains with seashells and rope decor with nautical knots are suitable.
- Eclectic interior – a combination of old and new in a common concept.
- Eco-style is characterized by curtains made of natural materials.
- Postmodernism and Art Deco are elegant styles, where many original design solutions are appropriate, but taste and a sense of proportion are important.
- Techno, loft and hi-tech are “cold” rain from metallized threads, better with diode or neon illumination of the ceiling cornice.
- Laconic minimalism does not tolerate excesses – these are monochromatic solutions for the general background.
- Ladies’ glamorous bedroom – the more luxury and splendor, the better.
Advice. The methods of fastening muslin curtains also matter. It is better to hide the curtain tape behind a decorating strip or lambrequin. Tapes and macrame ropes tied directly to the cornice will look appropriate for retro and country styles. Illuminated closed ceiling cornice – the best solution for modern design.
Bright white thread curtains
White thread curtains
Don’t forget the practical side too. In the kitchen, such decor looks fresh and original, but it will often have to be washed or large elements washed with a sponge. In the bedroom, muslin will replace the canopy. A homemade option is suitable for a student’s room. It is worth doing something new in the interior without significant costs, like these filament curtains presented in the photo gallery.
Video: How to hang thread curtains. How to wash cotton curtains
50 photos of examples of filament curtains in the interior: