Table decor: techniques for transforming countertops and methods of decorating a feast
It is a pleasure to transform old furniture, inherited or acquired from hands. There are many interesting techniques for making your own table decor. You can transform only one tabletop using craquelure, decoupage or decorating with broken tile mosaics. Then furnishings with their own history will decorate the interior in retro, boho or shabby chic style..
You can make Christmas trees from cardboard and put them on the table.
Flowers on the table will perfectly complement the general idea of the decor.
You can lay a beautiful path with drawings on the table.
How to choose a decorating technique?
Restoration of vintage or antique furniture is a willingness to give a second life to things that have served their time and are awaiting disposal. So I do not want to part with the original table, inherited from the grandmother, on which she put hot pies with milk to her beloved grandchildren in the morning. Sometimes it is enough to do a small repair and decor of the table with your own hands in order to transform it beyond recognition, while its unique shape will remain recognizable.
It happens that you are not looking for new upholstered furniture according to advertisements, but you come across a unique thing with curved legs, and the tabletop is hopelessly spoiled. Of course, any defect is easy to hide under a tablecloth, but it is better to put a little effort to get a unique coffee table or a “pot-bellied” bedside table – a symbol of a bygone era of postmodernism.
Colored paper can be cut into small pieces and scattered around the table
Plates can be used to put animal figurines
Of course, the easiest way is to give the table to the workshop, but then the almost junk thing will literally become “golden”. But you can get by with minimal costs in order to master some new technique for decorating an old table with your own hands:
- Potal is a unique method using thin foil imitating the decoration of furniture with gold leaf or silvering. They work on a smooth or carved surface using sets offered in specialized stores for artists and restorers. Having mastered the technique, you can become a specialist in this area, with the possibility of additional income.
- The simplest way is to decorate the countertop with your own hands using molding and repainting. Overhead parts are used (plastic, woodcarving, foam curtain rods), after which everything is covered with general paint, most often – aerosol.
- The mosaic decor of the surface of an old table involves laying out patterns from various materials and grouting. Sometimes the mosaic is covered with glass or varnished in several layers to obtain a smooth surface. On sale you can find special sets of colored squares or circles for mosaics. It is cheaper to lay out an ornament from pieces of broken tiles, mirror tiles and colored glass.
- Artificial aging (patination, craquelure, chemical cracking of surfaces, decorating with shells with subsequent refinement). The method is good for retro-design wood furniture. Kitchen furniture from several items looks luxurious, which they decorated with their own hands in the same way – a sideboard, chairs, tables.
- For artistic painting with acrylic paints, it is desirable to have the appropriate skills or education. But there are different techniques that do not imply special abilities – they use stencils, brushes of different widths and rollers with a pattern for knurling images.
- Do-it-yourself table napkin decor – decoupage. A fairly popular technique, thanks to which any wooden surface can look completely new..
- Do-it-yourself upholstery of furniture with cloth, including decorating the countertop with a beautiful cloth, which is then opened with varnish for practicality.
- Imitation of marquetry – mosaic panels made of different types of wood, cut exactly according to a template. When simulating, you can use any material that simulates the texture of wood. Upon completion, the tabletop is sealed with glass or protective varnish. One of the most luxurious techniques in the hands of a master. In the same way, you can decorate countertops from materials that imitate ornamental stone (malachite, onyx, charoite, lapis lazuli, jasper, sardonyx, agate). You can also use leather and suede, cork, bamboo or veneer wallpaper of different colors and textures..
- Non-standard ways of decorating using natural materials to get an original image. It is not necessary to level the countertop if the furniture will not be used for its intended purpose, but will perform purely aesthetic functions in interior design. Such a table can be placed by the mirror in the hallway or bedroom, as in the photo..
We offer a master class on how to decorate a desk with your own hands in one of the listed techniques.
You can put green twigs on the plates, it will look beautiful
You can put decorative leaves and candles on the table.
Flowers are perfect for table decor
Where to start restoration and decoration?
Any product awaiting transformation must go through a chain of transformations, before decorating the table, until it becomes what it would like to see.
The main stages of decoration
Clean the object of restoration from old plaque and dirt
Mechanical cleaning, soap solution
Conduct an audit and identify wobbly and joints and parts requiring repair
Standard carpentry tools
Remove old coating as much as possible
solvent, gel, special liquid
Seal cracks with a mixture of wood dust and wood glue
Sifted sawdust and glue (can be PVA)
Sand the surface of the table top, legs and body
Decorate in your chosen way (master the technique)
The set depends on the type of decoration
Fix the result and seal if required
Acrylic varnish, silicone sealant
The set of tools depends on the decoration technique. A square, a ruler and a marking pencil are required, as well as sponges, spatulas, and emery. They work in overalls, it is advisable to protect the respiratory organs with a respirator when working with solvent, paints and varnish, preparing to decorate the table.
There are also special gels and liquids for removing varnish and old paint. They are applied for a while and the remains of the coating are removed from the surface of the table with a spatula. In difficult places, remove varnish or paint with an awl, toothpicks or a gypsy needle.
Bright colors are always in fashion
Flowers on the table will perfectly complement the general idea of table decor.
Decorating the table with polystyrene for painting
One of the most affordable is do-it-yourself table decor, using a foam baguette, which hides the junction of walls and ceiling when wallpapering.
The only condition is that the shape of the table top should be rectangular or polygonal, but not an oval table. This makeshift decor is used instead of trimming when it is missing..
It is advisable to insert a beautiful picture under the glass, which is securely attached to the table top with staples and sealed with construction silicone. The end part will be covered with a painted baguette. It is recommended to cover the polystyrene with an acrylic primer (the other will not be taken). You can cover the entire product with golden paint and fix with varnish.
If there are carved wood sides – even better. Table legs can also be decorated with wooden decor and placed on casters. They can be found in any construction or furniture supermarket. You can coat the entire piece with a dark pitch varnish for a more expensive look, like in the photo..
The candles on the table will look very nice and practical.
The decor of the table is designed in one color scheme
You can decorate the table in different ways, try different options
A mirror or glass table is more related to modern furniture fashion. But it happens that the table top is hopelessly lost, but the cross or frame with beautiful legs remains. You can order a ready-made tabletop for it in any carpentry or shop, which will be cut with a machine of the desired shape and size..
The glass tabletop has to be decorated even when someone has poor eyesight or children often bump into the table. Beautifully laid out coasters for a tea ceremony or a beautiful table setting will solve the problem and emphasize the style of the interior.
You can beautifully decorate the table with flowers
There are many table decor ideas, fantasize
What is decoupage countertops?
Today decoupage is a fairly popular technique for decorating antique furniture. The selected pattern is transferred to the surface and pinned. In this way, many objects in the interior are decorated – hangers, dishes, vases, boxes. Decoupage cards are soaked and transferred to the prepared surface of the countertop or other piece of vintage furniture.
Technique requires attention and perseverance with repetitive image processing and capturing techniques. For those who are interested in how to decorate a table with their own hands, it is better to master all the secrets of the technique in a master class.
Craquelure techniques are no less interesting, imitating the cracked surface of the table in a retro style. In the photo – shell decor.
A vase of flowers will perfectly complement the table decor
You can make bows from napkins and decorate the table setting
The table can be decorated with flowers
Fabric with an original pattern, Pavlovo Posad shawls, hand-painted batik are a quick way to decorate a table with your own hands. If the table top is made of natural wood, the fabric can be easily fixed from below with a construction stapler.
The restored and prepared product is covered with a stretched cloth and varnished. The edges of the table top are processed with a wooden edging with carvings. The varnish is applied with a brush. The legs can also be covered with colored fabric, but there may be difficulties with tension and fixation..
The branches of the trees will look very beautiful
Table decor can be done in different ways, fantasize
Decorating the countertop with a mosaic pattern
Laying out mosaic patterns requires patience and accuracy. You can select a ready-made sketch and make your own adjustments to it based on the available material.
It is not always possible to find a real mosaic – squares of colored glass (of a different shape). The most accessible:
- broken tiles (ceramics, tiles, porcelain stoneware, artificial marble);
- ordinary glass (you can put colored foil);
- pieces of mirrors;
- colored glass.
To get small pieces of the desired shape, use wire cutters or pliers. Porcelain stoneware is too hard – waterjet cutting is needed. You need to work with the shrapnel carefully, wearing goggles and gloves..
Decorating the countertop with mosaic involves covering the prepared surface with light paint. On this basis, a pattern is laid out – each element is fixed with glue. After the mosaic panel has dried, the seams are filled with light grout. We fix the edges with an aluminum profile.
You can make mosaic decor from non-traditional materials – sea pebbles and shells, tree cuts, colored plastic.
This is how you can decorate the table for Easter
The table setting can be decorated with fruit
Trays can be made from wood cuts
Dinner table decor for a festive feast
A festive table setting is the best way to create a festive mood. Tables are decorated in different ways, the base is a colored or lace tablecloth and chair covers. On the tablecloth, each guest can also be served linen napkins or hot food coasters made of decorative materials.
Tablecloths can be replaced with a colored loose fabric, the edges of which are not sheathed, but tousled, taking out several rows of threads. Oilcloth on the festive table is an eerie mauvais ton, but sometimes an acceptable transparent film over luxurious hand-knitted tablecloths. For a home feast, you can take any fabric that is well washed and ironed, better synthetics. For a celebration, the table is covered with satin or silk (in summer), plush or velvet (in winter).
Bouquets of flowers are a mandatory festive attribute, but it is better not to put tall bouquets that block the entire view and the interlocutors at the table opposite.
As a decor, you can put New Year’s ikebana with fir branches, cones and Christmas tree decorations. Small compositions of fruits and berries are also appropriate as table decor. For a romantic dinner, candles and icon lamps are lit. Dishes and decoration should be in harmony.
The decor of the wedding table is distinguished not only by paired paraphernalia, everything here must be at the highest level – the main event in life.
Candles on the table will harmoniously complement the festive atmosphere
You can put a vase of flowers on the table, it will look very beautiful
The newlywed table is distinguished by decorated glasses and bottles of champagne, decorated as “He” and “She”. They are saved for the wedding anniversary and a meeting from the hospital.
They decorate not only the table, but also the hall, especially the backdrop of the places of the bride and groom. A wedding is a day when there cannot be a lot of decor. These are balloons, ribbons, flowers, hearts, rings and other symbols..
Examples of competent decoration of a feast – in our gallery.
Video: Summer table decor
50 photos of table decor ideas: