Features and difficulties of the design of a small corridor
Most of the apartments that are located in old buildings (construction of the Soviet period) have a small area. In tiny dwellings, most of the space is allocated to living rooms, and only a small share to a bathroom, kitchen and corridor.
Ergonomic corridor design allows you to get the most out of the minimum floor space.
Often, in such apartments, the owners try not to clutter up the site: they refuse furniture, decor, choosing hangers and small shelves as an alternative. But with proper planning, using visual tricks, you can make a cozy, stylish and multifunctional room out of a small hallway.
To distinguish between a corridor and a hallway or not is everyone’s business. But in most apartments, one of the premises smoothly flows into the second..
The lack of space is a key feature of the small corridor. But there are other positive and negative properties..
- Multiple doorways.
- The need for a competent combination of the area near the entrance doors and walkways of the site (for example, from the living room to the kitchen or bathroom).
- Poor lighting and ventilation.
Draw the design of the hallway and think about the location of the elements of the new interior.
These three indicators are negative, but by choosing the right materials, colors can transform the hallway beyond recognition. To do this, you should rely on interior styles, listen to the advice of professional designers.
If everything in the hallway, from the curbstone to the keys to the garage, has its place, there will be noticeably more free space..
Styles in the interior of a small corridor and a hallway of a small apartment
So that the guests, and the owners of the apartment themselves, having crossed the threshold, could not hide their admiration for the consequences of the alteration, it is necessary to adhere to one design style. Not all style subspecies are suitable for the design of tiny sites..
One of the easiest ways to add space to a narrow corridor is to make the interior in light colors..
You can concisely transform a standard, cramped hallway using one of these interior styles and its features.
- Japanese minimalism – implies the absence of bright colors, the use of natural textured materials (bamboo, rice paper) and a small amount of furniture.
Natural materials for surface finishing and decor are inherent in the Japanese interior..
- Chalet – is distinguished by the use of natural materials (wood, stone, clay). Accents in such a corridor are placed by textile parts made of linen and cotton, and rugs made of fur or coarse wool can be placed on the floor..
Chalet style is distinguished by reliability and simplicity.
- High-tech – there is a minimum of decorative elements that do not perform practical functions and clutter up the apartment. To form a high-tech style, it is enough to repaint the rough brickwork on the walls in white, lay a black laminate on the floor, install several lamps and a small hanger.
High-tech is interesting precisely because its basic principles of space modeling make it possible to solve the problem of a small hallway.
The least suitable for decorating a small common space are the English style, Empire style and Provence. They require rich decor, which has little space in small hallways..
Light palette visually increases the area
If you correctly think over the design of the corridor, it is advantageous to choose the colors, then it is really possible to visually increase the area. Experienced designers advise to combine three colors that are in harmony with each other..
The more vertical space you use, the more horizontal space will be freed up..
- Blue palette – combine pale cornflower blue, white, silver and beige and cream.
- Yellow shades – combine linen and gray-blue with khaki in the color of aged gold.
- Orange paints – use pale apricot, gray-blue and gray-blue, dilute them with beige.
These are the combinations that are popular in modern interiors..
In recent years, combinations of pistachio, pear with khaki and light beige.
Types of hallways in apartment buildings and repair options in them
Projects of houses of Soviet and modern buildings differ in area, layout, ceiling height and size of window openings. But the corridors in all types of high-rise buildings are similar and there are such types.
- With an arched ceiling between the hallway and the living room – often found in one-room apartments. The main advantages of the arch: saving space, additional decoration of the site, more free space.
The main feature of installing an arch is to competently combine the colors of the finish in the hallway and living room (bedroom).
- Long narrow corridor – connects rooms in apartments of panel houses. It cannot be cluttered with furniture, it is better to paint the walls and ceiling in light shades, use wall hangers, a mirror and shelves from furniture.
For convenience, you can install a small bench.
- A small square hallway is an attribute of a small apartment in Khrushchev. The square shape of the platform allows you to comfortably equip the hallway. In such rooms there is no need to “cheat” with color and materials.
The only advice from designers is to install doors that open to the inside of living rooms..
- Large spacious corridor found in two-room abodes. In a large hallway, it is possible to install multifunctional furniture (even a wardrobe, chest of drawers, floor mirror).
If one of the walls is free of doors and communications (wires, pipes), you can build a wardrobe into it.
The corridor takes on the greatest load in the house – it receives cold and moisture from the street (or entrance), dirt from shoes. Therefore, when planning a rework, it is important to think over the design not only in terms of beauty, but also convenience..
Corridor design in a private house
Premises in multi-apartment buildings shackle owners with ideas and fantasies for remodeling. In a private house, the situation is better: you can always expand the space by moving or dismantling the walls. In general, this part of a private house is identical with the same corner of the apartment..
Also choose decorative elements for the hallway according to the principle of “business with pleasure”.
When renovating a hallway in a house, you can use the following tips.
- Install a “warm floor” system, which will get rid of high humidity and cold in the room.
- All types of doors must be made in the same style and color (entrance, interior).
- Convert a regular ceiling to a tiered ceiling.
In a private house, the corridor can be decorated with a decorative stone on the walls or bright photo wallpaper.
An unacceptable alteration option is the installation of an arch between non-residential and residential space.
Wall decoration in a small hallway. Wallpaper as one of the options for a small corridor
When considering the design of the corridor, you need to choose the materials for finishing in advance. If the walls are even, then it is better to paint them. For this, acrylic, alkyd or water-based paints are suitable. An ultramodern option – polyurethane or latex paint, which are durable, stain resistant and easy to clean.
A small hallway can be increased in volume by intelligently thinking over the lighting and decorating it in the general style with the apartment.
As an option for a small corridor, decorative plaster, which looks more spectacular than paint, is suitable. When the side surfaces, it is easiest to close them with PVC and MDF panels, but at the same time take into account the air humidity.
A variety of modern materials for wall decoration helps to hide the imperfections of the walls, “play” with light, create a stylish design of the corridor and visually increase its area. The table shows different types of wallpaper for the walls in the corridor, their pros and cons are indicated.
It is important to maintain the functionality of the hallway.
|Paper||Eco-friendly material, high breathability, affordable price||Easily damaged, discolored, not resistant to moisture, short-lived|
|Vinyl||Durable, resistant to mechanical damage, retain color for a long time, provide high noise insulation||They have poor air permeability, which threatens the nucleation of a fungus, they emit toxic substances (formaldehydes)|
|Non-woven||They allow air and steam to pass through, hide irregularities in the glued surface, withstand dry and wet cleaning, do not fade in the sun, fire-resistant||Instability to mechanical damage, dust accumulates on the surface, which is dangerous due to the nucleation of dust mites, are expensive|
|Liquid||No joints, absorb sounds, retain heat, hide bumps||Dry for a long time after being applied to walls (up to 48 hours), destroyed by moisture|
|Textile||Invisible seams, high heat and sound insulation, fire resistant||Odor absorption, inability to clean, dust accumulation on the surface, high cost|
|Jute||Strong, durable, wear-resistant, environmentally friendly, do not fade in the sun, easy to clean||High price|
|Linen||Dry clean, do not fade in the sun, made from natural materials||High cost, complexity of the gluing procedure on the walls|
|Silk||They look very original, durable, do not fade in the sun||High cost, customization|
|Velor||Original texture, strength, environmental friendliness||High cost, difficulty in cleaning|
|Cork||Wear-resistant, breathable, dust-free, made from environmentally friendly materials||Sloppy joints, the inability to hide the imperfections of the walls, difficult subsequent repair of walls with cork cover|
|Metallized||Hardwearing, lightfast, easy to clean dry or wet||Brittle, airtight, strong reflections in bright light, high cost|
How to choose furniture for the corridor: minimalism in small hallways
For a harmonious, stylish design of a small corridor, it is not enough just to re-glue the wallpaper and change the floor covering. To create a stylish, modern and functional space, you need to choose the right furniture..
The best option for a cramped hallway would be a wardrobe with 3-4 compartments: for outerwear, shoes, hats.
The ideal option is a wardrobe with many drawers, rectangular or corner. To make it convenient to take off and put on shoes, you can install a small chair or sofa with fabric or leather upholstery.
When the area allows, it is worth installing a narrow dressing table with a mirror.
In narrow rooms, it is important to take care of safety. To do this, you need to select furniture with rounded corners, without protruding handles (“sinks”, “staples”, roof rails). It will be most convenient if you buy furniture with built-in handles..
Choosing a floor covering
A corridor is a place where every day the flooring lends itself to negative mechanical stress (friction of the sole of the shoe). The load increases if there are pets in the house.
It is important to select a durable, wear-resistant floor covering, to which other requirements are put forward: moisture resistance and ease of cleaning.
The best options for the hallway
- Laminate is a durable, beautiful and modern material that is easy to clean and can last up to 15 years. The main thing is to choose the right product class..
- Porcelain stoneware and ceramic tiles are characterized by high wear resistance, ease of cleaning and durability. Also, under this type of coverage, you can install a “warm floor” system. The only negative is the fragility of the surface. A dense rug can protect the tiles..
- Linoleum – not afraid of moisture, resistant to mechanical damage, easy to clean and, if used correctly, can last 7-11 years.
As an option for covering the corridor, you can use parquet.
It is durable, durable and reliable. Of the minuses – it is afraid of moisture, the top layer of varnish can ruin scratches.
Lighting in small hallways
Often the corridor has no windows, so it is illuminated by artificial light sources. Spotlights on the ceiling and walls will fit best into the interior, as an additional source, you can use a sconce, a floor lamp, a table lamp (if you have a bedside table).
A huge, massive chandelier is in no way suitable for a small hallway, because it will visually reduce the area.
Mirror in the hallway
The purpose of remodeling a cramped, small-sized space is to expand it as much as possible, at least visually. A mirror will be an ideal assistant in achieving this goal. It can be wall-mounted or on a leg, rounded or with sharp edges, small or full-length. Also, in the hallway, a mirror with a shelf is often installed on which perfumes and cosmetics will be located..
The modern design of the hallway allows you to feel the atmosphere of your apartment from the first steps.
VIDEO: Design of a small hallway in Khrushchev.
50 modern design ideas for a small corridor: