How to decorate a room with your own hands from improvised means
Home is the best place on earth for every person, and everyone strives to add comfort, coziness and aesthetics to their personal space. When you have an idea, it is easy to create a delightful ambience with a special atmosphere in the living room on the occasion of the arrival of dear people. It is even easier to make a nursery decoration for a child’s birthday or a room decor with your own hands from improvised means on the theme of the change of season. This does not require a lot of money or complex means of translating ideas. The main thing is to have creative ideas and a desire to create something. It will take a little patience and what will later become butterflies or birds, glowing inscriptions – a reflection of a childhood dream in any way possible.
To decorate a room in an interesting way, you need to show imagination and not be afraid of non-standard approaches
What and how to make room decor?
Each person is unique, and this is right when their individuality is reflected through a hobby or handicraft in their own home. The main thing is to want, then at least start doing something. And ideas on how to decorate a room, you can take your own or someone else’s, but implement in a new way, adapting to your home.
Old furniture does not have to be “written off”, it can be updated using decoupage techniques
Today, many ways have been developed for beginners when it is enough to use ready-made templates to do something at a decent level:
- drawing on the wall;
- applications with volumetric elements;
- images from balloons;
- inscriptions at the head of the bed made of polystyrene and diode tape;
- sofa pillows in the form of starfish or cat faces, etc..
Those interested in how you can decorate a room with your own hands cannot be stopped later. Creativity is a fascinating process that helps to heal a wounded soul and ennoble the world around you. Psychologists say that there is a special emotional background that accompanies the creative process, it is with its help that mental illnesses are often treated and the aura is “patched”.
Sometimes it is enough just to arrange the attributes in the room in a different way, so that the original composition comes out.
The flight of fantasy cannot be stopped, the main thing is to release your creativity, starting with simple things. A good reason is decorating a room with your own hands for loved ones. You don’t have to wait for the holiday to start the transformation process.
Compact shelves of non-standard shape will be good decorations.
Designers insist that decor is a great way to hide defects:
- doodles by little artists;
- tainted wallpaper from claws of cats and dogs;
- small cracks in the walls;
- damp corner;
- peeling plaster in places, etc..
To help the master – scissors, brushes and paints. For a simple decor, a lot of what can be found in every home is suitable – empty containers, balloons, a rag and paper..
Almost any wall can be decorated with flowers made of craft paper or colored paper.
Imagination will tell you how to make your home more comfortable. For example, you can hide children’s scribbles at the baseboard with a pattern in the form of tall grass, where toy bunnies will hide. The example in the photo shows how to decorate a baby’s room..
Wall decorations and accessories can be made using a technique that is new to yourself – there will be a reason to master something new. Do not start from scratch for something complex, such as sculpting and wood carving. It is better to use existing skills in origami, embroidery or knitting, to improve your hobby for quilling or dry felting. Then you can be sure that do-it-yourself crafts to decorate the room will turn out at the level of a master class.
Volumetric paper stars are suitable for any holiday, or just for decorating the interior
Hobby to help the room decorator
Using other people’s ideas for inspiration, it is important to realistically assess your strengths and abilities. The kind of decor you like for a room with your own hands at home is not always available, sometimes you need other conditions and special skills.
Interior items with wood carvings are fashionable at all times
Often the skills acquired many years ago are forgotten due to the fact that they were not in demand. Perhaps some skills were obtained in the needlework circle during school years. It will be useful to remind you in what ways you can introduce novelty without resorting to a radical transformation of the room and expensive repairs:
- Batik or painting on fabric is a simple technique, it is only important to purchase textile paints and choose a dyeing method. This technique will also be appreciated by people with artistic skills who want to do the transformation of interior textiles..
Beautiful painted pillows will be a worthy interior decoration
- Embroidery, knitting, and crocheting is a great way to create an overall pattern on soft ottomans and cushions. You can even not knit anything, just make pompons from yarn to beautifully decorate the room with your own hands. You can make from fluffy balls:
– soft rugs on a mesh basis;
– hanging garlands for the baby;
– screens for zoning;
– volumetric graffiti on the walls;
– an aesthetic border for a sofa cape or blanket;
– rope curtains with pom-poms and tassels, etc..
Christmas garland of pompons
- Wax carving resembles woodwork, but the material is much more malleable, you need a simple tool. Scented, church, wax and paraffin candles are excellent material for figurines and carvings. It is easy to make several paraffin roses from one red candle for a romantic evening. The resulting handmade products can be beautifully arranged on a shelf, table or other plane. Beautiful wax figurines can be inserted into candlesticks or large transparent vessels, combining with water and other decorations for the room.
Amazing handmade candles
- Macrame is another interesting way to work with threads – the knotting technique. Amazing do-it-yourself curtains and covers for armchairs, sofa cushions and seats on stools will become inimitable room decor.
Macrame crafts are very popular in modern interiors.
- Patchwork – work in the patchwork technique. Some craftswomen make whole paintings from pieces of fabric, real masterpieces. Competently selected scraps can turn into a wall rug near a crib, a blanket in the bedroom or a panel on the wall in the hallway.
Patchwork is used wherever there is textiles
- It is equally interesting to work with paper using the decoupage technique, modular origami and quilling (twisted stripes). Today, these types of handicrafts have many adherents around the world. But even if there are no skills in such a matter, it is easy to make a volumetric applique out of paper – large flowers, butterflies or birds.
Original design of watches using quilling technique
- Modular paintings are 3, 4 or 5 separate images united by a single plot. There may be one long painting, split into several independent canvases. This is one of the answers to how to decorate a room with your own hands, it is not even necessary to draw this picture. You can print a panoramic image on a computer printer and insert it into a slightly larger and smaller frame.
Modular paintings should fit the overall interior of the room.
- By the way, about frames for photos and paintings is another good topic with which you can decorate a room with your own hands. This is a full-fledged decor that does not require special skills. Any base for the frame can be pasted over with natural material, for example, shells of the same size brought from the seas. Further, depending on the design goals, you can leave them in their original form or cover the frame with aerosol paint and insert any photo dear to your heart. Several works are proposed to be hung on an accent wall in one of the rooms. In the same way, it is easy to add originality to the mirror in the hallway or bathroom..
Photos can be arranged in a completely non-standard way
- The low-value containers are the perfect decor for the kitchen, dining room or living room. The case will go to:
– plastic bottles;
– cups without an ear;
– disposable tableware;
– plugs and covers;
– original bottle shape;
– glass jars for coffee and other bulk products.
There were banks – there were vases
Modern room decorations with their own hands can be made from old stocks – all kinds of crafts, tablecloths and napkins “from the grandmother’s chest”. If their dilapidated appearance is no longer suitable for full-fledged decoration, it is worth taking a closer look at how and from what all this was created by the masters of past generations – this is an invaluable experience.
Coffee table from the old door
Old embroidery, gold-embroidered velvet and brocade from old dresses, embroidered paintings, fragments of knitted shawls and tablecloths are suitable for sofa cushions. Yes, and elderly relatives will be pleased to present such a gift, showing that this handicraft still has some value. And from pieces of leather from old bags and tops of boots it is easy to build a luxurious panel.
Rug made of leather labels
Today, the rethinking of the long-known types of needlework is gaining popularity – diamond embroidery, handbags made of beads, thread curtains, carpets and large-knit ottomans. No less interesting are toys as decor for a room with their own hands – sewn “Tildas” and rag hares, coils and amulets, designer dolls and crocheted “cartoon” characters. The same Barbies in elaborate handmade clothes on a shelf or in a showcase can become an exclusive decor in the interior of a bedroom, living room or teenager’s room..
Cute tilde snail will surely please your child
Phyto-paintings, living walls, collectible succularia and florariums are new ways to decorate a room with desert plants and exotic flowers from the tropics. But you can make dry ikebana and compositions from prepared leaves and plants like a herbarium.
Garden in a glass container with real plants
Drawings and painting
There are many ways to decorate a room using hand-drawn images for those who are able to do something, and those who do not have the skills of an artist..
|1.||Frescoes and wall painting||Requires certain skills.|
|2.||Contour and silhouette drawings||They resemble an applique made of colored paper and black and white photos, only the contours need to be drawn (you can invite a specialist) and fill the blocks with a certain color.|
|3.||Textured drawing||Printing plates, embossed images, building roller attachments, natural materials are dipped in paint by printing on the wall.|
|4.||Abstract drawing||Palette is more important than image recognition. Possible additions and strokes on top of the “smear” – face profile, mountains, musical instrument, a branch in flowers.|
|5.||Stencil paint||The simplest design of a room, the method of applying paint is spraying, painting, contouring, you can combine everything together.|
|6.||Drawings with wet sponges and hands||A technique that parents and children can practice by drawing trees, a flowering meadow, animals, etc..|
The wall in the children’s room can be decorated with simple drawings based on your favorite cartoons
To decorate a classic interior with painting requires extraordinary creativity
Decorating balloons for a birthday or holiday
Everyone wants someone to make a pleasant surprise for a memorable date. Funny crafts made from balls, decorations with ribbons, voluminous fish and fruits, hearts, New Year’s tinsel and colored paper will look emotional and funny. It happens that there is no money for an expensive gift, but you can bring an unforgettable surprise in the form of decoration for the room with your own hands.
Balloons are a versatile way to decorate a child’s room
There is nothing easier than decorating a room with balloons, especially from old stocks. It is easy to involve other family members in this process, everyone can inflate the balloons, but someone alone should be responsible for the implementation of the idea for decorating the room with his own hands..
You can pick up the original garlands of scraps of fabric to the balls
Or put confetti balloons or surprises inside
Having learned this at home, you can move from a hobby to an additional income, decorating houses for the holidays and offices for corporate parties. Use helium balloons with colored ribbons going up to the ceiling. You can combine decor. More interesting examples – in our photo gallery.
Video: decorating a room in a girly style
Photo: 50 more DIY decorating ideas