Modern styles of window decoration in the living room
The renovation of the living room is of great importance, because this is the room where the family receives guests, where all relatives and friends gather. And everything should be perfect in it. But often, thinking over the big picture, they forget about decorating details. And small elements are very important, because they make up the whole picture..
A well-chosen window decoration will make the living room interior complete
We advise you to pay a lot of attention to the decoration of the window in the living room. After all, this part creates a complete picture and comfort. Today you will learn how to hide flaws and emphasize the advantages of this area and the room as a whole with the right design. Go!
When decorating windows, there are several important rules to remember. There are few of them, but they are fundamental, and will help to avoid gross errors in the process..
- Choose a design that matches the overall style of the room.
- The type of design should correspond to the features of the opening configuration, and hide flaws.
- Choose a decor that will have a design and functional load.
Curtains should be in harmony with the design of the living room
Here are the basic principles. We will analyze each of them in more detail below..
Various design methods
The most common window decoration option in modern style is curtains. This method has been used for many years. However, at this stage, it has developed to an unrecognizable size..
An original design effect can be obtained by covering the entire wall with curtains.
You have a huge selection of curtains made of different materials, in all known stylistic directions.
In modern living rooms, complex options are often found when several types of curtains are used to decorate windows.
The most commonly used fabric curtains. And here we have several variations:
- Roman curtains. In a simple way, they can be described as fabric blinds. They represent a canvas with horizontal strips, which rises vertically, forming folds of various shapes. They are made of thick fabric, so they are great for a window against a TV. They are made to fit the window opening, so they can be combined with other curtains.
Roman blinds look harmonious in laconic design solutions
- Japanese. These are fabric canvases located along the entire length of the wall. They are large in size. They do not wrinkle and often do not fold away. These are fabric screens that are made of a translucent material, so that they allow the sun’s rays to freely enter the room while creating a favorable atmosphere in the living room. Often combined with other forms of curtains.
Japanese curtains are irreplaceable when decorating panoramic windows
- English. Window decoration with English curtains remains popular in a limited number of directions. They are a one-piece fabric with one or more vertically sewn laces. Refers to the type of lifting. Due to the laces sewn in certain places, they form folds when lifting on the sides.
English curtains create a sophisticated aristocratic atmosphere in the living room.
- With lambrequin. Popular for both modern and antique styles. Often combined with English. Lambrequin is a fabric cloth of 30-70 centimeters in length, located above the curtain along the width of the cornice. They are selected together with the main canvas, it can also be made to order if the basis does not imply the presence of a lambrequin.
Curtains with a lambrequin allow you to create an exclusive window decor and hide the defects of the slopes
- On grommets. An eyelet is a flanged ring designed to secure a circular hole in fabric. Eyelet curtains are widely used in new styles. A prerequisite for them is the location of the baguette at least 5 cm from the ceiling, because the eyelets are located at some distance from the edge of the canvas.
Eyelet curtains slide easily along the cornice
- On the rings. A very convenient and very common option. Suitable for various types of interior design. Rings can be wooden, fabric, metal, they are attached to the edge of the curtain, so this type is easy to use.
The rings themselves are a decorative element that serves as an additional decoration for the curtains.
- Blinds. They are widely used in modern minimalist styles. At the moment, their choice is huge. You can find metal, wood, fabric, plastic products. The slats can be arranged horizontally or vertically. The choice of color is also represented by a wide range. In the modern market, you will find blinds for every taste..
Blinds can be matched absolutely to any interior
Having considered different ways of decorating windows, we can proceed to the selection criteria in order to more easily decide what to give preference to..
Curtains will help hide flaws
The basic rule of choice number 2 says that curtains should hide flaws and emphasize the advantages of the window, create coziness in the room. They can do it quite well. It is worth choosing a design method based on the configuration of the opening, the height of the ceiling, the dimensions of the room.
For a narrow opening
If you consider this characteristic a disadvantage, you can remove it using curtains..
The design of a narrow window should overlap with the general style of the living room.
First, enlarge the cornice. It should be 15-25 cm larger than the window opening, that is, go a little on the walls. Now use heavy curtains to make the window appear wider and not show the wall they are covering. As for the length: the fabric should hang slightly below the windowsill. This option is considered the most optimal..
Floor-length curtains highlight the custom configuration of the narrow window
If you consider this characteristic an advantage, and according to the idea of the chosen interior design it is necessary to emphasize this fact, the curtains in this case will also come to the rescue. Make a cornice strictly along the width of the opening, and choose light curtains to the floor.
You can hide the imperfections of a low window using roller blinds with a vertical rise. So, the English version will do. Lambrequin will help to “lengthen” the window space.
Curtains with a lambrequin can not only close the space above the window, but also, if necessary, visually reduce a large window
Place the curtain rod much higher than the opening, complement it with lifting curtains and a lambrequin. So, after the curtain rises, a sufficient amount of sunlight will enter the room. At this time, the lambrequin will cover part of the glass, and it will appear higher.
A beautiful lambrequin will make the living room atmosphere more solemn
In this case, it is better to choose a monochromatic version or with wide vertical stripes. Small ornaments, horizontal stripes or a cage are taboo.
For the little one
The small window can be emphasized favorably. Roman shades are well suited for him, which are located directly in the size of the opening. Thus, you will be able to emphasize its diminutiveness, create a cute and cozy design..
Harmonious design of small windows with roman blinds
If you need to visually enlarge this space, you can do this with curtains in the color of the walls. You can achieve the same effect by choosing a transparent lightweight tulle with a small pattern..
For the big
Large windows are not always an advantage. In order for them to become such, they must be properly formatted. With the wrong decor, the room will turn out to be uncomfortable. So, the main task of decorating a large window in the living room is to make it cozy, but not small..
Long straight curtains are suitable for a large panoramic window
To add softness to a lot of glasses, decorate this area with bright or dark curtains. The ideal option is a combination of tulle with a shimmer of any color you like, and curtains to match this shimmer..
A popular option is light straight eyelet curtains
Also, a large window is the perfect field for heavy design. Lambrequins, large folds, ruffles, fringes will be appropriate here. The same applies to fabrics: velvet, tapestry, damask, brocade, tweed, etc. All this will give the living room royal luxury, at the same time add comfort and warmth.
French curtains on a large window in the living room
As you can see, with the help of the proposed decor, you can hide any flaws and emphasize the advantages. So to summarize!
|Narrow||Wide low smooth||Light colors, printed with horizontal stripes|
|Low||Long to the floor, with lambrequins and pleats, lifting type||Sheer tulle, plain fabrics|
|Small||Roman shades, light curtains||Bright or light colors|
|Big||Long and wide, with folds; heavy elements permissible||Dark or bright colors combined with sheer curtains|
If you hang the curtains to the very ceiling, you can achieve a visual increase in the height of the room.
We know the basic rules for the selection of curtains and window decoration in the living room. Now we can move on to considering the rules for choosing a decor in accordance with the style of the room..
In general, the curtains can be matched to any of the existing trends in design..
Abstract curtains will be the perfect option for adding color variety to the living room interior.
Actually, they are not divided according to certain criteria into styles (except for the classic ones). But knowing the rules of selection, we can choose curtains that perfectly reflect the general trend of the interior. Let’s consider the most popular.
Here we have pronounced features. Long straight curtains with uniform, wavy vertical folds are the standard of the classics.
Classic-style curtains are a dense heavy fabric and a light straight curtain
Another distinctive feature is their solid color. You will find many modifications of curtains for this trend, but remember about two main features inherent in textiles in this direction. The most popular curtains for the classics – on rings and eyelets.
Do not confuse classics and antiquity. Classics are an inexhaustible example. Antique trends are presented in the curtains with a large number of folds, ruffles, frills, decoration with lambrequins and tassels..
Antique curtains are distinguished by a large number of decorative elements.
They are made of dense heavy fabrics, with inserts of gold thread or stones. In general, this option contains all the antique pomp..
For minimalism, techno, loft, blinds or roman shades are best. Here, brevity and simplicity are needed, which the presented types can provide..
High-tech style is characterized by clear lines and straight geometry
High-tech, modern, art deco accept more varied decor. Here you can use not only plain canvases. But it is better to refuse excesses in the external manifestation: folds, ruffles and so on will be superfluous..
A successful combination of light curtains with a dark cornice and fittings
As you can see, the trend is towards simplification, therefore, for modern styles it is better to select plain curtains on the floor, but taking into account the selection rules depending on the shortcomings of the window opening and the room as a whole.
So, the most common window design in the living room is with curtains. On the modern market, this product is presented in huge quantities. Now, knowing the rules of choice, you can harmoniously decorate this area, and create a cozy and pleasant atmosphere.
Video: beautiful ideas for designer curtains for the living room
Windows in modern living rooms: 50 photos