The bathroom is one of the most frequently visited places in the house. Therefore, it is worth organizing a combination of functionality, beauty and convenience. The design of the bathroom must be carefully thought out, taking into account the existing features. Free space is often limited. Therefore, you have to think about the possibilities to fit the necessary items into the available boundaries..
The main task of the designer is to come up with a laconic and most comfortable interior with a convenient location of plumbing and furniture.
Bathroom decoration: we develop the design ourselves
Self-development is a complex task. It is possible to organize everything correctly, given the many nuances. In limited space, functionality comes to the center. Coziness and beauty recede into the background. This approach will allow you to conveniently arrange all the necessary items. However, some design tricks will help make the interior attractive and comfortable..
Modern bathroom design involves combining a variety of interior styles
What should be in the bathroom
There is a list of certain items that are required. Thanks to the wide range of sanitary ware on the market, you can choose the right option for any room.
- Bath or shower. The choice is based on the amount of free space. Jacuzzi available.
- Sink. There are corner models, wall and console (built-in).
- Toilet bowl. Provided that the bathroom is combined.
- Mirror, shelves.
- Various little things, including towel hooks, hangers.
The interior of a modern bathroom does not set clear limits in the choice of accessories, but gravitates towards simple shapes and natural materials.
If space allows, the described list can be supplemented with a washing machine.
Planning and design
Before buying everything you need, it is important to decide on the design. It is recommended to present everything schematically by drawing a plan. This will allow you to rationally manage the space, accommodate the necessary things and assess in advance possible shortcomings, errors of various placement options. Therefore, you should first decide on a site for each element, choose suitable models. With such a plan, it will be much easier to purchase everything you need in stores..
When planning, you should consider all possible options for the location of plumbing
Drawn diagrams help to think over the communication system, hide pipes. There are many computer programs that allow you to create a three-dimensional picture, which is convenient to work with..
In the design of a bathroom, a significant stage is the organization of lighting. The key criterion for choosing luminaires is the level of their protection. Requires products that can operate effectively in high humidity environments. Protection class must be at least IP44.
Bright lighting visually increases the size of the bathroom
Additional lights are needed near the mirror
It is recommended to create multiple lighting segments. Common ceiling luminaire and areas with separate switches. Place several light sources near the mirror. You can add lighting for plumbing. Experts advise placing several shelves. If you highlight them, it will look spectacular. Consider the color scheme when arranging the light. If the bathroom is made in dark colors, such as brown, you will need powerful lighting. Otherwise she will look gloomy..
Modern design of a small bathroom
The small space complicates the task of competent design. The functional load remains the same, but it is necessary to squeeze everything into the existing dimensions. One of the methods that can be resorted to is the introduction of glass. The toilet, earthenware sink and bathtub, installed in the same perimeter, will be located end-to-end and give the impression of being cramped. It’s all about the massiveness and heaviness of most plumbing models. Therefore, it is worth replacing an ordinary sink with a glass one. This will add lightness and spaciousness. Another way is to use glass partitions. In a small room, there can be no question of setting demarcations that take up space. The glass partition looks light, does not visually reduce the room, takes up a minimum of space and allows you to effectively delimit several segments.
The minimum set of items to be placed in the bathroom
In a small room, it can be very difficult to find a place for a washing machine.
Sometimes it is advisable to abandon a full bath and replace it with a shower.
The next solution to save free meters is the introduction of cantilever technology. The peculiarity lies in the masking of the “filling” of objects in the wall. This prevents the plumbing from looking bulky. There are models of sinks specially designed to be built in above the washing machine. Then you can conveniently set both elements.
Private bathroom (no toilet)
If the bathroom in the house is separate, there are certain design nuances. Often, the dimensions of the area are modest. Therefore, you have to take into account the features of the room to create a competent design..
Combination of warm and cold shades – a good choice for a small bathroom
A few secrets to help make your bathroom practical and attractive.
- Mainly light palette for surface finishing. Dark, bright colors work well for accents. Observe the measure so as not to spoil the overall appearance. Light gamut visually gives freshness and spaciousness.
- Mandatory presence of mirrors. Such surfaces visually expand the boundaries perfectly. Avoid placing mirrors opposite. Better on one wall or two, hanging at right angles.
- The introduction of glossy surfaces. They reflect light, making the room look bigger. You can use a glossy ceiling stretch fabric. The space will be filled with light.
- Intense lighting. Natural light often cannot enter the bath. Therefore, embody bright artificial lighting. For this, perimeter spotlights are suitable..
- Using only a glass partition. If you can’t refuse to place it, then choose transparent as a suitable one. Glass does not steal square meters, but copes with its functions.
- A minimum of furniture. The selected models must be compact and functional. Then it will not take up a large area, it will not weigh down the atmosphere..
- Replace the standard bathtub with a hydromassage box. It will take at least meters, which will allow the space to become more spacious..
Color is a great way to zoning tight spaces. The corner with the bathtub can be marked with one color, and the sink with another.
Beautiful interiors for a combined bathroom
Choosing a suitable interior becomes an important step. It can be combined with the general style of the apartment or be completely different. There are many different designs available to suit this type of environment. They are reflected in the table.
|Provence||The main focus is on furniture and textiles. But the bathroom has limited dimensions, therefore it is problematic to accommodate a suitable item. You can count on a bookcase or wardrobe. This also applies to textiles. Therefore, Provence should be expressed in wall decoration. Choose materials with a floral print pattern. The palette is predominantly beige or milky. Prints should be unobtrusive, muted tone.|
|Loft||A true embodiment of the fusion of various architectural solutions. The main color is white. You need to supplement with a brick shade or tone of natural wood. Metal accessories, mainly black or white. It is recommended to make part of the wall brick, do not hide pipes and communications. Minimum amount of furniture.|
|Scandinavian||Differs in high functionality and minimalism. All elements are comfortable, shapes and lines are simple. Among the finishing materials, tiles, plaster, wood are suitable. The color palette is distinguished by a light shade, lack of brightness, cold tone. The floor covering should be close to the wall covering or in sharp contrast with it. The color of the furniture is selected according to the same principle..|
|High tech||Reminds of the previous style due to its simplicity and minimum of details. Refers to the modern trend. The interior is dominated by glass, metal and plastic elements. Mainly straight lines, maximum exclusion of round, oval shapes. The color palette is varied and quite flexible. The use of a single range or a combination of contrasting shades is allowed. If you choose a cover with a print, it should be distinguished by simple lines. No flowers, no plants.|
|Art Deco||Differs in freedom of design. Allows you to avoid conservatism, minimalism and increased functionality. The style is characterized by a mixture of original, unique ideas with the addition of bold décor details. Such a design is rarely implemented due to the cost and the need for a sufficient area of the room. The materials used are only natural, which will have to spend large sums. An abundance of gold in the decoration is encouraged. It is worthwhile to carefully embody such ideas, otherwise art deco can turn into bad taste..|
The combination of yellow, white and gray in wall cladding is the most common in the Scandinavian style
Combination of eco-style and minimalism
For a retro style, plumbing fixtures of an old look and flaunting communications are typical.
The maximum of chrome and sparkling surfaces is high-tech
Riveted metal wall, gray color, rigor in details – very masculine design
The options described in the table indicate the colors that are recommended to be used in a particular case. But when choosing a scale, take into account the area, the height of the ceilings, the shape of the room. If the bathtub is small, then predominantly choose light colors. Introduce dark shades carefully. For the ceiling, they are suitable only with a sufficient height..
Rich bohemian bathroom
The modern style is not so easy to characterize, there may be industrial motives, hi-tech or Zen. In general, it is aimed at a comfortable daily use of the bathroom.
The spacious area allows for a wider range of color choices. The introduction of dark tones, more daring shading solutions is allowed. Even black can be used.
Major mistakes in bathroom decoration
Many people often make mistakes when trying to implement different ideas. As a result, the overall appearance and atmosphere suffers. Therefore, find out in advance the popular mistakes when creating a design and options for how to fix them..
- Lack of thoughtful planning. If the placement of the elements is not planned correctly, this will lead to a lot of inconvenience. The problem is especially acute in a small bathroom. Therefore, it is recommended to think over the filling of the space to every detail. This will allow you to take into account all the problems and select the most rational place for each detail..
- The atmosphere of a club or restaurant. It is important to think several times before embodying an interior from a popular public space. In such establishments, an atmosphere of relaxation often reigns, and the bathrooms are rather languid, without bright lighting. Such an embodiment is not suitable for a home. Over time, the atmosphere will become depressing, because you will have to constantly spend time in such a design. Eliminate dullness and darkness when organizing the interior, using mainly light colors and maximum lighting.
- Exclusion of protective partitions. The need for a protective curtain can be eliminated if an additional shower stall is available. Otherwise, with the combined option, the adjacent surfaces will be constantly flooded with water. You will have to regularly spend time cleaning. Therefore, purchase and use a special curtain that will effectively protect the space around from liquid.
- Slippery floor covering. Tiles are popular for these types of spaces. And when choosing the right model for the floor, many forget that the main criterion is not design, but the presence of an anti-slip coating. Some people choose to place glossy, completely smooth material. Thus, when water gets in, the floor literally turns into a skating rink. Such mistakes can lead to injury if not acted upon carefully. Therefore, when purchasing a tile, make sure that it is treated with a special anti-slip compound that makes the product a little rough. Leave the glossy finish for the walls.
- Dim lighting. This room should have high-quality light. Using dim light fixtures is a mistake. Sometimes, only one light source is installed, ignoring additional ones, which leads to semi-darkness. In addition to the main lamp, it should be equipped with several spotlights around the mirror and in other areas. This will illuminate your face softly, evenly and clearly..
- The use of paper wallpaper. This is a catastrophic mistake. Indeed, paper wallpapers are absolutely not suitable for spaces with high humidity. They will begin to absorb moisture, the seams will separate. Over time, the canvas will completely come off the surface. A more reliable, practical material for wet rooms should be chosen. The most popular is the tile. If you want to use wallpaper, choose vinyl, washable and moisture resistant. But it is better to combine them with tiles, and not completely glue all the walls..
- Neglecting towel holders. Many do not attach importance to this detail. But if you don’t think about the location of the holder in advance, there won’t be a suitable place for the towel. Therefore, you will either have to go out after him, leaving wet traces everywhere, or constantly look for a place for textiles. Designers advise organizing holders next to each area where water treatments are expected..
- Lack of a special foot mat. Another little thing that is often overlooked. Its absence will lead to the fact that you have to stand on the cold floor with bare feet. The risk of slipping increases. It is best to place a mat of the right size and color for your own safety. It will become a cute accessory that correctly complements the created design..
- Small sink size. The original appearance, the built-in sensor contribute to the production of products of modest dimensions. This negatively affects functionality. If there is enough space, it is worth placing several sinks. For a small room, choose a product that has a wide bowl.
Correctly chosen color of finishing can radically change the space
Features of furniture for a small bathroom
Multilevel furniture helps to save precious meters. A small area is allocated for it, and the capacity is large. It is recommended to use all the space available around it as much as possible. Many people ignore the area under the sink. You can install a compact rack or shelf for additional storage. Make the most of your walls. Hooks, shelves can be placed on them.
As much as you would like to organize a lot of storage places, it is better not to use bulky cabinets, but to give preference to narrow and high shelving
When choosing between closed and open storage systems, trust your taste, but consider the style of the interior
The key issue is the option to install the washing machine. This is one of the common problems and difficult situations. After all, there is often no room for her. Therefore, there are the following options for resolving the issue:
- Installation under the sink. The sink should be flat and slightly above the standard level.
- Next to the washbasin. To create a harmonious combination, you should connect them using a table top. Hang a volumetric mirror on top.
Combine sink and washing machine with a common countertop to save space
If you need to place a typewriter, but there is no suitable area for it, you should allocate a little square. meters. You can install a shower stall, and take up the vacant space with washing equipment. Additionally, you can put a laundry basket next to it.
Use corner mirrors for an original atmosphere. This helps to create a visual increase in size and reproduces endless play. To make ceilings higher, use a mirror film for them..
Everyone knows the property of a mirror to expand space. Use this to visually expand, lengthen, or raise a room. Try placing the mirrors at an angle to each other and you will get an interesting result.
How to decorate a corner bathroom
An excellent solution for small dimensions. The corner model saves a lot of space. This is especially true for square rooms. Corner models differ in a variety of shapes. There are variations in curvature. This allows you to choose original, unique products.
The design of such an option consists in the availability of additional space, due to the saving of the available meters. You can occupy the vacated area with various parts, including a washing machine and other useful household items.
A mini corner bathtub is the perfect solution where every inch of space counts.
Corner bathtub allows you to place everything you need even in tight spaces
Video: choosing a bath or shower
Photos of the best bathroom interiors