Interior design trends in 2021
Interior design trends are not changing as rapidly as in clothing. Much that was fashionable in 2020 does not lose its relevance this year. Geometry, concrete, loft and minimalism, natural materials are still popular. But there are also some changes and amazing new features. For example, instead of emerald, the red color of a brick shade becomes the central color in fashionable interiors..
Red always dominates over other shades and attracts the eyes of others. Used correctly, it transforms any room into a fun and upbeat space.
The motto of the year is “Only the essentials”. More and more attention is paid to the practicality of the room and the functionality of filling the space..
Key trends in interior design
When decorating windows, it is better to abandon multi-layer heavy curtains and choose traditional combinations of light curtains and thin tulle
- Abundance of light and spaciousness. In the interior, designers mainly pursue the goal of filling the room with light as much as possible and creating the illusion of a larger space. This trend has been relevant for several seasons..
- Cool color palette. This trend follows from the previous one and is not a dogma..
- Geometric motives. Now they are found not only in patterns on the wallpaper, but also in the unusual shape of furniture..
- Eco-friendly materials. This trend also does not apply to new products. However, I am glad that materials that are safe from the point of view of toxicity are becoming more accessible to different segments of the population..
- Built-in household appliances. A trend that has been relevant for several seasons and loved for its practicality.
- Textured surfaces. Due to the desire for practicality, object decoration is minimized. But unusual textures in decoration and furnishings will not allow the apartment to look too austere and boring..
- Ergonomic storage. In 2020, countertops with many compartments are relevant.
- Mixing styles. This trend simplifies the process of selecting all the details for the whole composition on the one hand, and on the other, it allows you to more vividly express your individuality..
Due to the through holes in the concrete blocks, these partitions will be blown away not by a boring monolith, but by a brutal translucent structure
Velvet upholstery in emerald, ultramarine or tart wine is still in vogue.
Fashionable color trends
Color plays a huge role in interior design and sometimes becomes a key chord of the entire composition. Through color, you can convey the unique character of the room, emphasize furniture and decor details. In this regard, 2020 provides a wide choice, because both minimalism and bold shades are in fashion. Everyone can find a fashionable color scheme for their apartment in accordance with the temperament and lifestyle.
Bright colors are always in fashion, the interior definitely ceases to be neutral
The most fashionable colors of this year:
- Red, as already mentioned, becomes the main color in the interior of 2020. It is the color of the brownish shade that is relevant. It is filled with fashionable textiles, cabinet and upholstered furniture, accessories.
Fashionable combination of red furniture with a brown floor or even a ceiling
- Turquoise color, can compete with brick. At the peak of popularity, a turquoise-mint shade, according to psychologists, facilitates emotional experiences. Curtains or upholstery of upholstered furniture of this shade will create a peaceful atmosphere in the room..
A calm cool color from nature itself is considered universal and ideal for interior decoration in classic and modern styles
- Purple. According to some designers, it should be he who should be the leader. Psychologists say it helps relieve stress and boost concentration. It also has the ability to suppress hunger, which can please people who do not control their appetite..
Everyone treats purple differently, but it leaves no one indifferent.
- Aquamarine. It is believed to contribute to a greater saturation of life with emotions..
The combination of navy blue with white or beige makes the interior lighter and more fresh
- Earthy tones have been popular since last year. It’s white, muted gray, sandy and brown.
Bright living room in shades of gray with delicate pink accents
- Dark colors continue to be relevant. Black color of kitchen facades is spreading.
Stylish black color can dilute any interior as a neutral color.
- Copper and gold colors become more natural and strengthen their position. Pastels are being replaced by more intense shades..
Shiny brass countertops, vases, lamps and mirror frames look good
In 2020, unexpected color combinations are in vogue, such as aqua with yellow, or blue and orange..
It is not necessary to paint the walls with yellow; it is enough to place a colorful sofa or table in the room. Yes, and not just yellow, but like in cartoons, juicy and positive
Styles and nuances in decor
In interior design, it is recommended to use a minimum number of elements that will create a homely atmosphere, ideally and they should be of some practical benefit. This is not pure asceticism, but minimalism with a touch of luxury. Choosing a few decor items, you should focus on high quality.
Exclusive homemade or custom-made interior items are popular
- Metallic textures are at the height of fashion. However, it is worth adding something more out of the ordinary than handles or a countertop. A round chandelier with gilding will be a trendy option..
- Chandeliers of the most unusual shapes are also popular..
- 3D – mosaic. Pick one piece to decorate the room. For example, you can revet an apron with a volumetric mosaic..
- The same apron can be made printed by matching a pattern to match the main design..
- Walls decorated with mirror mosaics add light to the room and look very interesting.
- Open shelves – with or without glass fronts. Visually increase the space.
- Household appliances in bright colors. In case the built-in is tired, the technique can be made the dignity of the room.
- Unusual bright carpet can also be used as an accent.
Metal looks good in the form of bars or other very thin lines, literally strokes
The wall can be completely covered with shelves and they will not “crush” if you use a combination of closed and open shelves
The latest trends in the interior of the kitchen
Functionality and practicality have a special place in the interior design of the kitchen. And stylistic solutions can be very unusual and violate the stereotyped ideas about decoration..
In the design of the kitchen, you do not need to be afraid of bright colors, you can safely use yellow, light green or sunny orange
Kitchen interior design trends:
- Union. To expand the space, the kitchen is connected to other rooms. An excellent solution would be a studio kitchen that captures the living room and divides into zones. Designers often make a kitchen from modules similar to ordinary furniture, combining it with another part of the apartment. The kitchen ceases to be a limited space, cluttered with cabinets and objects and is not perceived as a boring space solely for cooking.
- Matte coating. Shiny lacquered facades are out of fashion in 2020.
- Metal and stone finishes. Such modern materials as glass, wood, plastic and gypsum are also actively used. Combinations of different materials look interesting.
- Thin countertops and wide work surfaces.
- Cabinets without handles. The absence of the top row is welcomed.
The interior of the kitchen should be spacious, with clear laconic forms.
There should be fresh flowers or herbs in the kitchen
The modern kitchen is comfortably furnished. Each item in the room performs some function and is in the designated place. No unnecessary things that only take up space. Plain dishes are preferred. Necessary tools are at arm’s length in equipped worktops.
Household appliances are mainly built into furniture modules, but in some cases it is permissible not to hide them, but to make them the dignity of the room. The main thing is that it is easy to use and contributes to the maximum optimization of the cooking processes. Great importance is attached to manufacturability. Wi-Fi is built into modern technology for remote control and receiving notifications about the cooking process.
Touch screens are increasingly common in modern kitchens, and intuitively, we understand that gadgets will be the main trend in the future.
The highlight of the kitchen interior can be partial or complete wall decoration with brickwork.
To decorate the walls of a small kitchen, choose light colors of tiles or wallpaper. This will help to visually enlarge the space. For a greater effect, the ceiling is also recommended to be kept in light colors. Such execution will correspond to the minimalistic trend. If you wish, you can add non-flashy accents..
The softness of pastels and the nobility of metal
If, despite the large selection of trendy colors, none of them seems suitable for decorating your apartment, there is a great solution. Designers recognize pastel colors as relevant for the interior, regardless of the fashion season. Let’s remind that pastel colors are shades of any color, diluted with white. Its pigment makes any color more soothing and suitable for decorating a living space..
It is customary to refer to pastel colors as light blue, cream, milky, transparent yellow, pale pink and many other slightly muted and discreet shades.
You can choose any pastel shade from a huge palette, and to express the fashionable spirit of the times, use the most trendy finishing materials in interior design. The combination of pastels with metal will look spicy and fashionable. This material is now used not only as an additive, but also serves as the basis for entire kitchen surfaces..
Metal countertop in the interior of a fashionable kitchen
In addition to being spectacular, metal facades perform one small but pleasant function – you can attach magnets with task lists to them, leave notes for your loved ones. Metal in facades combines well with glass, wood, concrete and stone. With a low budget, it is permissible to use an imitation of metal.
Fashionable styles in the interior
Now loft and minimalism dominate. Here are the key points that characterize them:
|Finishes in chrome steel, glass, stone or wood||Finishing the floor and walls for concrete|
|2 primary colors, a third is possible as an accent||Wall decoration with bleached or red bricks|
|Massive windows to fill the room with light||Open communications|
|Lack of partitions in the room||Ceiling beams|
|Geometry of figures||Untreated wood tables and benches|
|Blinds instead of curtains||Metal cabinets|
Comfortable minimalism is ideal for small spaces – only the necessary set of items, but at the same time, the situation should not be ascetic
Industrial design style, democratic and provocative at the same time, consists of ostentatious emptiness and deliberately rude details.
If you are an avid fashionist or like radical changes, then the style can be changed in accordance with the fashion. But remember that style reflects the character of the tenant more than other aspects. If the apartment being renovated is planned for a long-term stay, it is recommended to choose a style that matches the temperament and lifestyle. Then the apartment will become as comfortable as possible for you, and you will look harmonious in your home. There are always fashion trends that can be implemented within the style of your choice..
Video about what is hopelessly outdated in interiors
Photos of fashionable interiors