Stretch ceiling in the bathroom, its pros and cons
When planning a bathroom renovation, home owners are faced with the problem of choosing the type of decoration for walls and ceilings. The microclimate in the bathroom differs from the rest of the house by significant fluctuations in temperature and humidity. In addition, this room must meet hygiene standards, and therefore has special requirements for finishing materials. Nowadays, quite often installed stretch ceilings in the bathroom, but what are their pros and cons? They attract people with the beauty and variety of designs that designers create, but do they meet all the performance requirements? To deal with these issues, let’s take a closer look at them..
What is called a stretch ceiling?
A stretch ceiling is a construction of a panel stretched under the main ceiling of the room and fixed on special profiles called baguettes. The profiles are attached to the main ceiling or to walls at a distance from the ceiling along the entire perimeter. The invention of this finishing method has opened up new possibilities for designers in interior decoration. This type of decoration is considered modern, but it came to us from time immemorial. Even in the Roman Empire and the Middle East, ceilings were decorated with draped fabrics. In Western Europe, stretch ceilings were re-invented in the middle of the twentieth century after the appearance of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) films. Gradually, they became the main type of ceiling decoration and an integral part of modern interiors..
Two-level stretch ceiling
What are they made of?
For the manufacture of stretch ceilings, two types of panels are used today – PVC film and polyester fabric. These materials differ significantly from each other in their qualities, each of them is endowed with advantages and disadvantages that should be dealt with..
Polyvinyl chloride or PVC is a plastic and is very common due to its special properties. It is quite durable and lightweight. At the same time, it does not conduct electricity, it is insoluble in water, alcohol and hydrocarbons, it is resistant to the action of mineral oils, alkalis and acids.
PVC products have a beautiful glossy surface. In addition to its technical applications in machines and power lines, it has gained popularity in the fashion and advertising industries. PVC is used to make artificial leather and accessories, make clothes and sew gloves. Linoleum is made from it, it is applied to washable wallpaper. PVC foil covers stickers and advertising posters. This plastic is used to make gaskets in refrigerators and window seals. It is from such a widespread material today that stretch ceilings are made..
To support the bright red glossy ceiling, one wall in the room can be decorated with bright tiles with red accents.
The film is produced in rolls from 1.3 to 5 meters wide. If it is necessary to obtain a greater width, or to obtain a multi-colored panel of an unusual shape, the films can be joined together by means of soldering using a special technology. Consider the main types of film that are on the market today.
- Glossy Film – Used to create a shiny, “mirror-like” surface. Rich color palette and reflectivity allow designers to achieve interesting effects in interior design. Its disadvantage is that on a glossy surface, the film joining lines are more noticeable if the film width is not enough, and it has to be soldered from several parts..
- Matte film – does not create glare, has a matte uniform color, giving the impression that the surface is painted. On such a panel, water droplets are less visible..
- Satin film – similar to matte film, but reflects light much more strongly; it is distinguished by a bright pearlescent shade and is similar to shiny satin fabric.
- Suede film – its structure is thicker and denser than the others, its texture resembles a suede fabric, such a film is used to create the effect of a “starry sky”
- Translucent film – transmits light, if the lamps are located behind the film at a sufficient distance, the effect of frosted glass is created. Before stretching the transparent film, the surface underneath must be tidied up, because it will be partially visible through the transparent film.
Interesting fact: PVC film has memory and after deformation returns to its original shape, but for this it needs to be slightly warmed up.
For stretch ceilings, polyester textile fabrics with polyurethane impregnation are used to increase its strength, water resistance and durability. Fabrics cannot be soldered, so they are usually made seamless..
It looks harmonious when the shelves and the floor are of the same saturated color, especially with white walls, this visually expands the room
Polyester is a synthetic fabric widely used for the production of clothing and accessories. It is highly durable, does not wrinkle, is not afraid of sunlight and dries quickly. Polyester products are durable, retain their shape well and do not lose their appearance.
Polyurethane is a unique synthetic material with high wear resistance, heat, frost and water resistance. The ceiling fabric is available in rolls from 1.5 m to 5.1 m wide. Polyester fabrics for ceilings are made in white or colored. It is possible to print a pattern on the fabric or paint it with acrylic paints.
Fabric ceilings are 15 times stronger than PVC film ceilings, they are almost impossible to break with a blunt object, and not easy to cut even with a knife. Such ceilings are not afraid of heating up to 80 degrees and frost down to -40, so they are used in intermittently heated rooms..
Advice: it is best to install the cornices in the room before installing the stretch ceiling, most often the panels are damaged precisely during the installation of the cornices.
Delicate pink color will create the effect of airiness and lightness
How to install stretch ceilings
Stretch ceilings are installed at the last stage of repair, after cleaning the premises from construction debris and dust. Special moldings are attached to the ceiling or along the perimeter of the wall under the ceiling so that the gap between the main and the stretch ceiling is at least 3 cm.If communications are carried out under the ceiling or lamps are provided, the gap should be larger. The sheet is fastened to the profiles firmly and tightly. This is achieved by such fastening methods:
- The harpoon method of fastening is distinguished by the presence of a special harpoon, which “snaps” the edge of the web in the aluminum profile. This method is used for the installation of PVC ceilings.
- The clip-on method of fastening differs in that the fastening structure is integral with the baguette and does not require additional fasteners. Used primarily for fastening fabrics.
- The wedge or felted method of fastening is characterized by the presence of a “P” -shaped profile, into which a wedge is inserted, after which the structure is hidden under a special overlay.
Advice: if you decide to replace the old ceiling with a tension one, it is not at all necessary to take out the furniture from the room, after the completion of the installation work it will remain clean and unharmed.
White is a universal color for bathroom ceilings
Pros and cons of stretch ceiling in the bathroom
From the information provided, it follows that both types of canvases for stretch ceilings meet the main operational requirements that apply to the finishing materials of a bathroom, and the installation of a stretch ceiling in a bathroom is quite acceptable. But, like any other finishing option, stretch ceilings have their positive and negative sides. Let’s list the main advantages of installing ceilings from both materials in the bathroom:
- The ability to get a perfectly flat surface in a relatively short period of time. All installation work takes 3-5 hours on average. In this case, the ceiling that closes under the fabric does not need to be leveled, and it does not require any special preparation.
- A rich palette of colors and a variety of textures give designers the opportunity to bring to life the most incredible ideas..
- The air cushion, which is created between the two ceilings, provides additional thermal insulation and protects the second ceiling and hidden communications from moisture. It is warm, and condensation does not form on it, even if splashes of water get on the panel, it will dry quickly, so no fungi will start on it..
- It is easy to hide all communications in the space between the two ceilings, such as electrical wiring, pipes and lighting equipment.
Ceiling option where the stretch fabric is used only in the central part
- The ceiling will last more than 15 years, it does not need to be painted, and it does not require any repair, unless, of course, it is mechanically damaged.
- Dirty ceiling can be washed or wiped down with a damp cloth.
- The ceiling made of PVC film, due to its waterproofness, elasticity and sufficient strength, helps to save things in the bathroom in case of flooding by neighbors from above. A fabric ceiling copes with a task of this kind much worse..
It does not stretch, therefore, with a large amount of water, it can break out of the mount, and with prolonged standing in it, water will gradually begin to flow. After the flood, the fabric ceiling will be damaged and will have to be replaced, and the PVC will remain unharmed after draining the water..
Did you know: the ceiling film can easily support the weight of an adult, and the ceiling with an area of 10 square meters can hold 1 ton of water.
Cons of stretch ceilings in the bathroom
- Stretch ceilings must be handled carefully so as not to damage the canvas with sharp objects. This mainly concerns the PVC film, the fabric withstands stabbing and cutting loads much better and is less likely to be damaged.
- The PVC stretch ceiling begins to sag when the air temperature rises above 45 degrees, so heating devices should be used very carefully in the bathroom.
- Drops of water sometimes leave traces after drying, this is more true for glossy canvases. Therefore, it is best to avoid splashing water on the ceiling to avoid frequent washing..
- Poor-quality canvases for ceilings can emit an unpleasant odor when the temperature rises, so it is advisable to buy repair materials only from trusted manufacturers.
- Washing a stretch ceiling is a rather laborious process, especially for fabric ceilings due to their uneven texture.
Green stretch ceiling
Stretch ceilings in the bathroom have many advantages. If you carefully consider the choice of a suitable material, and take into account all the possible pluses and minuses, it is quite achievable to get a great stretch ceiling without unnecessary hassle. And then for many years you deservedly admire, lying in the bathroom, the surprisingly beautiful result of your work.
Stretch ceiling in the bathroom – design ideas
45 photos of stretch ceiling ideas in the bathroom: