We develop a functional, stylish design of a small Khrushchev
The cost of spacious, multi-room housing is off the charts, especially in a large city. For this reason, old Khrushchevs are still in high demand. They are affordable. A large number of such apartments have been built in every major city. Khrushchev’s apartments have long been the subject of many anecdotes because of their modest size and inconvenient layout. However, for young families, they are practically the only way to find their own secluded “corner”. The imperfections of the room can be dealt with with the help of modern design techniques. A well-chosen Khrushchev design will allow you to achieve an excellent result. How to choose the right style, furniture, color scheme for Khrushchev is described in more detail in this article..
The interior of a two-room Khrushchev in snow-white colors
Khrushchev’s apartment: layout features
What is typical for a Khrushchev apartment? The first characteristic feature is uniformity. The layout of the apartments is absolutely identical throughout the building. The second feature is its small size. Modest dimensions become a real obstacle in the process of arrangement. It is quite difficult to fit everything you need on 30-46 square meters. The third characteristic feature of the Khrushchev houses is their inconvenient layout. Rooms are usually adjoining, have low ceilings.
In a small space, it is very difficult to combine a beautiful design with an optimal distribution of space.
Determining the functionality
The most popular option for such apartments is two-room. You can make a practical design of a two-room apartment in Khrushchev without the help of professional designers. The main thing is to correctly determine the functionality of the home, distribute zones, choose a style.
First, it is important to decide whether a radical redevelopment will take place in the apartment, or whether it will be enough to be limited to zoning
Repairs must be carried out in stages. The first stage of work is to determine the functionality of the apartment. It is necessary to draw up a detailed plan of each room, marking the required functional areas. Their number, type will depend on the needs of each individual family. The apartment can accommodate a bedroom, study, living room, dining room, nursery.
Advice! Be sure to draw a graphic plan of the apartment. On a sheet of paper, it is necessary to accurately mark the location of communications, furniture, partitions, and other interior elements. Then repair work in the apartment will take less time..
For a family with a child – dividing a large room into a bedroom and a living room
Preparing for redevelopment
Having decided on the main functional areas, many owners come to the need to radically change the space – redevelopment. This solution will solve the problem of a shortage of square meters. Rooms can be combined, enlarged with a balcony, separated by partitions.
Any restructuring of walls in a multi-storey building requires approval from the housing inspectorate.
This solution has several disadvantages:
- Redevelopment requires official permission. We’ll have to prepare a project, study a lot of technical documentation. Some walls cannot be demolished for security reasons. For this reason, you can get a refusal..
- High cash costs. Dismantling the wall, buying new equipment (for example, a powerful hood) requires finances.
Modern design of the old Khrushchev
If there are no problems with money, difficulties in obtaining a permit are not scary, you can start preparing for redevelopment. To do this, it is necessary to completely clean the apartment of old furniture, dismantle the old finish. The next step is to study the technical documentation, draw up a redevelopment plan with a new location of the walls.
Living room + dining room – a rational solution for the interior
The square meters of a standard two-room Khrushchev are sometimes not enough to carry out all the ideas of the owners. In this case, combining several rooms can help. A good solution would be to combine the living room with the dining room..
Combining kitchen and room into a kitchen-living room
The process of unification, traces of the old partition are still visible on the ceiling
Dining area after renovation
Use the following tips when doing this:
- It is customary to zone the living-dining room space with furniture. A large dining table can serve as a divider. Also, the zones can be highlighted with flooring. In the dining room-kitchen, tiles are usually laid, in the living room – laminate, carpet.
- When combining a living room with a dining room, you can use the classic style. The classics will be emphasized by a beautiful wooden table, multi-layer curtains, chic finishes. Modern design will also be appropriate. Styles of minimalism, hi-tech will help make the space more spacious, more functional.
- There should be a minimum of furniture in the combined room. Try to maintain a sense of spaciousness.
Unusual zoning idea – sliding walls between the bedroom and living room
After combining the rooms, an open studio apartment is obtained, in which it is difficult to recognize typical Soviet housing
How to do without redevelopment?
If redevelopment is not available for various reasons, you can do without it. Visually increase the space, make it more functional, the following recommendations will help:
- Plasterboard structures will help to carve out a little extra storage space. From drywall, you can build a partition, a fake wall, a rack, niches, shelves. It is quite easy to work with this material, even without practical experience..
- You can visually increase the volume of a room using an arched doorway. The arch allows you to achieve a stunning effect. By the most conservative estimates, it visually enlarges the room by a quarter..
- Doors, partitions, doors in furniture must be made sliding.
- The ideal solution to the problem would be the choice of a modern design for Khrushchev. Modern style trends do not welcome excess decor and furniture. They are harmonious, have a suitable color palette.
- Glossy, mirrored wall surfaces will help increase volume. Be sure to include a mirror wall covering in your design project..
Use mirrors to visually expand the space
Sliding doors save space and look stylish
Zoning rooms: optimal ideas
The practical design of Khrushchev without redevelopment can be done using zoning techniques. They will allow you to conditionally divide the space into zones. Conditional zoning can be done using the following techniques:
- Furniture. Pass-through racks, sofa, bookcases can be used as room dividers. This is a fairly unobtrusive zoning, which allows you to use each square meter with benefit..
- Finishing type. You can zone by choosing different finishing materials for zones. The walls of the kitchen are better tiled, the walls of the living room – with wallpaper. Then, even without a partition, the spaces will be visually divided..
- Lighting. Modern spot lighting has become actively used as a zoning method. Lamps will help to separate the bedroom from the living room, the dining room from the kitchen. They are usually placed on the ceiling. For greater effect, it is recommended to choose lamps of different shapes, colors in each separate zone..
Zoning with different ceiling levels
Rack-partition as a space divider
Suitable design styles
Not all style directions are suitable for arranging the interior of a Khrushchev apartment. The most optimal options, their characteristic features are indicated in the table:
|Style name||Specific traits|
|Classic||If a heated debate has broken out in the family about the choice of style, give preference to the classics. This direction does not lose its relevance over the years, it is universal, it can adapt to any taste. The classic style is characterized by: light colors in decoration, wooden furniture, expensive textiles, chic curtains.|
|Loft||This stylish, modern design suits young families. The loft is a descendant of the industrial style. It is characterized by: brickwork in the decoration of rooms, light gray color, furniture made of wood, steel.|
|High tech||Hi-tech is modern design in all its forms. This style direction is characterized by modern finishing materials: marble, glass, decorative plaster. Appliances, furniture with unusual shapes will play a huge role in the interior..|
|Provence||Delicate French direction Provence will be a good choice for a single woman, a young family with a child. Provence is environmental friendliness, light shades, vintage furniture, floral print.|
Simplicity and sophistication of the interior in the style of Provence
The loft is suitable for those who love experiments and fashion trends.
Minimalism – harmonious, modern interior of Khrushchev
Many experts for Khrushchev recommend choosing a practical, minimalist modern design. Minimalism is a subset of contemporary styles. It is aimed at building the most functional, comfortable space.
In order not to visually reduce the space, use light colors for decoration.
For contrast, hang pictures on the walls.
Important! The main condition for minimalism is the absence of unnecessary elements..
Add a touch of flavor to your interior, such as an antique iron or an old desk
The built-in wardrobe with doors matching the wall decoration will be almost invisible and will not clutter up the space
The owners need to reconsider their needs, get rid of old unnecessary furniture and things. The space should not be littered with decorative elements. There should be few items in the room. White will help to visually enlarge the tiny space. It is usually used to decorate walls and ceilings. Light furniture will look great on a white background. You can buy a glass table. Such furniture will seem to dissolve against the background of white trim. Good lighting is a characteristic feature of minimalism. There should be a lot of light. It is necessary to use spotlights, a variety of sconces, chandeliers.
Children’s room in Khrushchev
It is customary to equip a children’s room in a Khrushchev apartment in the smallest of the rooms. Usually it is combined with the living room. This solution allows you to save space, always monitor the baby during games..
While the child is small, it is enough to select a cozy corner and close the crib with curtains during sleep
When the child grows up, he will need personal space.
If there are two children, then one of the rooms completely belongs to them. In this case, it is important to correctly zone the space of the room in order to provide children with a comfortable cohabitation. Parents need to choose a universal style. The classic direction with a light color palette is ideal.
Bunk bed with storage boxes for toys
Double bed with pull-out berth
It is better to purchase a bunk bed. This will help save space. It is important to leave enough space in the nursery for active games; if possible, you should equip a sports corner. Such a decision will help babies to develop correctly, grow up healthy..
Video: an overview of the interior of a real two-room Khrushchev
Khrushchev design – 50 photos