How to turn an ordinary mirror into a highlight of the interior
To freshen up the interior, it is not necessary to buy expensive decor items and completely redo the renovation, you can restore old things, for example, mirrors. At the same time, you do not have to be a designer, artist or skillful craftsman: thanks to the abundance of step-by-step master classes, a huge assortment of modern materials and techniques, you can do it yourself, quickly and with minimal effort, create a unique mirror.
Decorating a mirror is primarily a game of fantasy and imagination
Old mirror decor ideas: the benefits of the procedure
To breathe new life into an old mirror, you can completely replace the frame or update an existing one. The following popular techniques will help with this: decoupage, gilding, aging and many others..
Plain braided rope frame
The advantages of homemade decorating are many:
- By creating a mirror decor with your own hands, you can get a product of any shape and size.
- The opportunity to get an item that will harmoniously complement the interior of the room by 100%.
- Saving money – buying materials and decorating the product with your own hands will cost 3-4 times cheaper than buying a ready-made mirror.
Each hand-decorated mirror is a unique piece of art that will have no analogues.
Spectacular volumetric frame made of paper strips
7 rules for interior decor with mirrors
To properly decorate a room with mirrors, you should adhere to the following recommendations:
- To create a single harmonious composition when using several products, it is necessary that their frames are made of the same material or in a single (adjacent) color scheme.
- Custom-shaped mirrors do not need to be framed.
- Mirror frames fit best into the interior, the style of which echoes the overall situation..
- It is not necessary to clutter up the space – it is enough to use a composition of 4-5 mirrors of medium shape.
- When choosing a frame, be sure to build on the style of the interior..
- You can play on additions: for example, from one type of wood to make frames for a mirror composition and a coffee table, coasters or other decor items.
- Large mirrors are appropriate only in spacious apartments – more than 25-30 sq. m.
The old frame can be simply wrapped in a beautiful fabric
Or attach a new one over the old frame, for example, from branches
With the help of correctly selected and located mirrors, you can achieve various visual effects: expansion of space, visual “raising” of the ceiling. To make the room a little more spacious, you will need to place the mirrors on opposite walls, and a composition of 3-6 elongated vertical mirrors will help to make the ceiling higher..
Mirror frame in wood or skirting board
The easiest thing to do with a mirror is to make a wooden frame for it. In the assortment of building stores today you can find many suitable materials: natural wood boards, door frames, ceiling plinths. The advantages of these materials: availability, wide palette of colors, ease of use. The main “trick” when creating a wooden frame for a mirror with your own hands is the actual selection of the color of the wood for the interior of the room. When making a frame, workpieces can be cut at angles of 45 (diagonal) and 90 degrees (perpendicular plane).
The painted planks are secured with liquid nails.
While the glue dries, the strips are fixed with tape
Mirror in the frame of the ceiling plinth – stylish and beautiful
Mirror aging techniques
To give the frame an unusual aged look, you can use acrylic paint. To do this, you need to cover the finished mirror frame with light paint, wait until it dries and apply another layer on top, but already of a darker shade. Immediately after creating the second layer, you need to erase it in some places with a regular sponge. To preserve the color, the finished aged frame must be covered with a colorless varnish. You can also not wash the top layer of acrylic paint right away, but let it dry. In this case, the effect of aging will have to be achieved using sandpaper..
The aged mirror will perfectly fit into the interior of the loft style
Stencil painting on the mirror
Even children can decorate a flat glass surface, including a mirror with their own hands, using purchased or homemade stencils.
You will need acrylic paints, a cardboard stencil and acetone or nail polish remover
For the procedure to have a successful result, you must:
- Degrease the surface to be decorated (for example, using nail polish remover).
- Choose shades of paint.
- Attach the stencil tightly to the mirror to avoid paint bleeding.
When all the requirements are met, you can get to work: attach the stencil to the mirror surface and apply paint.
The stencil is fixed on the mirror with masking tape
Experienced craftsmen advise using aerosol paint for this purpose, which is evenly sawn and dries quickly, if ordinary paint is used, then it is better to apply it with a clean sponge, and not with a brush..
If you use waterproof paints, such a mirror can be placed in the bathroom.
What materials can be used
To decorate the mirror with your own hands, you can use any materials, the main thing is that it is beautiful, stylish and practical. The table shows the decor items that are most often used to transform mirrors:
|Material||Material features||What interior styles can you use|
|Natural wood||Rich appearance, environmental friendliness||Classics, art deco|
|Textile||Ease of operation, environmental friendliness||Provence, classic, postmodernism|
|Natural materials: dry plants, shells, stones||Availability, the ability to create the most unusual variations, environmental friendliness||Provence, loft|
|Decorative elements: beads, beads, foamiran, pieces of broken colored glass||Beauty, style and modernity||Pop Art|
|Various household items (disposable tableware, clothespins)||Cheapness, ease of use, the ability to create a very original product||Modern, eclectic|
Unusual frame made of wooden pegs
Steampunk mirror (master class)
The more unusual, the better when it comes to home decor items. To create a more original mirror, you can rely on steampunk – science fiction, inspired by the steam energy of the 21st century. To create a mirror, you will need metal levers, valves and gears, which can be purchased at handicraft stores or borrowed from mechanics, a glue gun and personal imagination.
You can use a variety of items to decorate the frame
- Degreasing the surface to be decorated.
- Bonding parts.
- Applying a protective layer of clear varnish.
A frame covered with paint like old copper will look stylish
Such a mirror will perfectly fit into the interior of a teenager’s room, study, fantasy bedroom or living room..
The most interesting mirror frame decor options
Using materials at hand, a glue gun and decorative items, you can make a unique mirror frame.
- The Art Deco Sun Mirror is a stylish piece of furniture that can be easily made from bamboo sticks. To do this, you need to glue bamboo along the contour of the product – in its original form or by painting it in a golden color. It is important that the base of the mirror is round..
Bamboo frame on a round mirror
- Mirror from pieces of mosaic. There are two types of mosaics – all mirror or only frame. To make a frame, you need to paste over the edges of the mirror with particles of multi-colored glass, and then apply a layer of colorless varnish on them – in order to extend the life of the thing and safety.
Table mirror with blue mosaic frame
- Stucco mirrors. The use of moldings is relevant in interior styles such as classic, baroque, art deco. To create a mirror with stucco molding is a simple procedure that even beginners in the field of needlework can do. As a frame today, it is best to use moldings made of gypsum, foam or expanded polystyrene. The main thing is to carefully cut 4 parts at an angle of 45 degrees and evenly glue to the mirror surface.
The appearance of such a mirror will depend on the beauty of the chosen stucco.
If you wish, you can paint the stucco molding, make it old or gilded. Flower arrangements from foamiran, beaded or paper flowers will help to further embellish the mirror frame..
Mirror frame made of disposable spoons
A mirror frame made of disposable spoons will look no less unusual. Making it is as easy as shelling pears: you need to attach the upper part of the spoons to a prepared surface using a glue gun, and, if desired, paint the composition with acrylic paint. To make the frame neat, you need to cut off the “caps” of the spoons with a sharp object – scissors or a clerical knife.
Take a small round mirror
Draw two circles on a piece of cardboard – one is a mirror size, the other is about 5 cm wider.
Cut the edges of the cardboard with scissors
Cut off the bottoms of the plastic spoons
Glue the spoons in three rows with a heat gun
Spray paint on spoons and cardboard
Attach a suspension loop on the back wall, and glue the mirror itself in front
Video: mirror decor without a frame
50 photo ideas for mirror decor