Dark furniture in bedroom design is a stylish play on contrast
The furnishing of the bedroom should be conducive to rest, relaxation. Many psychologists recommend decorating this room in gentle, light shades. However, this color scheme does not suit everyone. Many people like cold, dark colors. An unusual bedroom interior in dark colors will not look gloomy, uncomfortable with the right proportions of color. This publication discusses the features of the organization of design with the use of dark furniture..
Bedroom with dark furniture is ideal for sleeping
Benefits of using dark colored furniture
There are a lot of advantages of such an extraordinary solution..
- Saving space. There is a myth about a significant reduction in space in dark tones. However, in few places it is specified – only with their abundance. The dosed amount of items, decorated in dark colors, helps to save square meters. Gloomy colors visually reduce objects, make them less bulky..
- Bedroom design with dark furniture will never go out of style. This is a classic solution.
- With the right proportions, these furniture will have a soothing effect. It promotes healthy sleep.
- On the upholstery of such items, dirt and dust will be less visible. Housewives don’t have to clean up every day.
The interior of a dark bedroom is considered a traditional option, rooted in past centuries.
Dark furniture gets less dirty
Dark bedroom design: what can be done, what is undesirable to do?
The gloominess of gray, black, brown does not make these colors inappropriate in the setting of the bedchamber. They will bring a little drama and a sense of coziness to the design. The main thing is not to overdo it. A too dark bedroom is unlikely to leave a good impression, it will contribute to relaxation..
What is possible in such a design? You can safely use black as the main one. In a small room, black should be minimal. In large rooms, you can not be afraid to overdo it. Black will make the empty area more comfortable. Walls can be made plain. They will only serve as a background. The use of a large number of lighting fixtures is not prohibited. With their help, you can correct, highlight functional areas.
A bedroom with dark furniture testifies to the refined taste of the owners and their love for comfort
A successful combination of black, white and lilac colors
In a dark interior, brown tones are appropriate, especially if they are reflected in wooden motives.
It is not recommended to decorate large bedroom surfaces in gloomy colors. Gloomy wall decoration, ceiling will press, negatively affect the mood. It is strictly forbidden to install a lot of furniture. A large number of interior items will deprive the room of useful space. Leave only the essentials.
Playing on contrasts: choosing a color scheme
A successful bedroom design in dark colors will only be in the case of the correct selection of the color palette for arranging the interior space of the room. You need to choose the right finish for the bedroom, its color scheme.
This bedroom does not look gloomy at all, despite the dark gray walls.
When choosing, adhere to the following recommendations.
- It is better to decorate the walls with high-quality wallpaper in light colors. This is a versatile option. On a light background, brown, gray, black looks contrasting. If the walls are perfectly flat, they can be painted. The paint must be environmentally friendly, odorless. If desired, small accents can be made on some walls. Dark blue, gray, purple stripes will look great.
- The decor of windows, doors, floors can be done in a bright palette. Bright colors in a dosed amount will cheer up, add variety to the interior..
- Ideal for the floor: laminate, parquet, linoleum, carpet. Floor finishes in dark colors can blend in with furniture items. It is better to choose a material of beige, olive, light brown..
- It is better to paint the ceiling in small rooms white. Stretch multi-level structures look great in large rooms..
The main thing is that the bedroom is pleasant and cozy.
Dark wallpaper is appropriate in a large enough room.
In the design of a dark bedroom, it is important to choose beautiful curtains. Curtains should be combined with decoration, other interior items, home textiles. When choosing curtains, you need to consider the basic requirements for this thing. Curtains should be light, airy. It is better to choose denser fabrics for making curtains. Curtains will be able to protect from the scorching sun in the summer. Another requirement is that the curtains should be darker than the wall cladding, lighter than the bed, wardrobe. The fabrics used in the production of curtains must be natural. Synthetic fabrics attract dust. The color palette of bedroom curtains should be light; you can buy curtains in a brighter color. Curtains will be decorated with unusual magnets-holders.
For a dark bedroom, it is better to choose light curtains with beautiful contrasting patterns.
It is important that the color of the curtains is combined with the palette of the bedroom set or with the tint of the walls.
Choosing furniture based on style
It is better to select furniture based on the characteristics of the style direction. Consider helpful advice on choosing furniture for the most common styles..
|Style name||Recommendations for choosing interior items|
|Classic||Differs in the use of natural materials. Wood should be preferred. Carving on objects will emphasize the luxury, exclusivity of the bedroom decor.|
|Asiatic||Black, brown beds, sofas, cabinets with bright, contrasting inserts are suitable for this style..|
|Modern||For this trend, they buy furniture in dark colors with gilded details. Gilding looks luxurious. Gold color can be repeated in curtains, home textiles.|
|Technostyle||Perfect dark bedroom style. Technostyle is highly practical and functional. Suitable for modern young families. Furniture should be purchased in black with chrome details. You can repeat the chrome surfaces in the decor of the lamps..|
Bedroom design with dark brown furniture in a classic style
Japanese style bedroom
Dark furniture made of solid wood for the bedroom in the art nouveau style
Modern materials in the high-tech bedroom
Dark bedroom in a gothic manner
Modern minimalist bedroom
Well-organized lighting will help smooth out the gloom of the bedroom. You will need natural, artificial lighting in the room. For natural light to penetrate into the room, you need not to clutter the windows with thick, heavy curtains. Curtains should be light, translucent. If natural light does not penetrate well, you need to think about central lighting. A multi-lamp ceiling chandelier works well. The design of the chandelier should be chosen based on the overall style of the room. A crystal chandelier will fit perfectly into the classics, English style. Modern style trends will complement the ceiling chandeliers.
In a dark bedroom, one chandelier is not enough, it is better to additionally install ceiling lamps around the entire perimeter of the room
The bedroom will become much brighter if you place a large mirror opposite the window.
Central lighting can be dispensed with if there are several windows. You can replace the ceiling chandelier with spotlights, small lamps on the bedside tables. Spot lamps are an actual solution when choosing a stretch ceiling. Spot lighting is very convenient and saves electricity. With its help, you can select functional areas.
In dark interiors, there should be a lot of light, regardless of the area of the room.
A bedroom with black furniture can be decorated in a variety of ways. Let’s take a closer look at the most successful ideas.
- Having laid black parquet on the floor (dark brown laminate), you need to play on the contrast of color. A carpet will be an ideal complement to this finish. It should be light, have a long pile..
- Home textiles can be a decoration of the room. The bright color of the blanket, bedspreads, pillows diversifies the gloomy environment.
- Ordinary vinyl stickers will help you decorate the surface of a plain wall. Their colors should be in contrast to the colors of the walls. Stickers are inexpensive, easy to attach to the surface. They can be dismantled, replaced with new ones after a while..
- A beautiful metal, ceramic figurine will allow you to decorate the room. Its theme should be close to the style of the bedchamber.
- Family photos, decorated with beautiful frames, will be an excellent wall decoration. Only black and white photos can be selected.
Bright pillows and fresh flowers will help to dilute the cold interior.
A bright yellow rug can create a rainbow mood in a dark room.
Again, the sunny yellow color slightly relaxes the atmosphere and makes the interior softer.
There is more black in this bedroom, but it is the white accents that attract the attention.
Two details – colorful ornaments on the wallpaper and a small pillow, and how they changed the whole interior
Video on how to properly use dark colors in the interior
Photos of bedrooms with dark furniture