No Frost Cooling Technology: Features, Pros and Cons of No Frost, Care Tips
Defrosting – getting rid of the accumulated ice on the walls of the refrigerator and freezer. Most modern refrigerators do not require frequent defrosting. Systems of the No Frost type (“know frost” from the English. “No frost”) completely protect against the formation of ice. Drip refrigerators can defrost automatically or manually. What it is – manual defrosting of the refrigerator – is clear from the name itself. Unlike automatic, this is a process with direct human participation..
Dripping refrigerators need manual defrosting every few months.
Why you need to defrost the refrigerator
Periodic defrosting of the refrigerator helps:
- get rid of the ice coat on the walls of the chambers;
- stabilize the operation of systems and extend the service life of equipment;
- prevent the spread of harmful microorganisms;
- get rid of the unpleasant odor.
Defrosting helps get rid of harmful micronutrients and fridge odors.
Features of manual defrosting
Many good drip refrigerators do not have an auto defrost feature built in, which means you need to manually defrost the freezer. The procedure is not complicated, but if carried out regularly, it guarantees the smooth operation of the refrigerator and the preservation of the freshness of the products..
Some refrigerators do not have an auto defrost function..
- Maintaining hygiene: regular sorting of the contents of the refrigerator, cleaning the walls, shelves and drawers eliminates the growth of bacteria.
- Lower cost of the refrigerator: manufacturers significantly increase prices for the availability of additional automatic functions and systems.
- Inexpensive repair: the fewer sensitive and complex elements are used in the device, the cheaper it will cost to repair.
Important! Modern refrigerators with a manual defrost system are reliable in operation and have high thermal insulation. Considering the recommendations to defrost any refrigerator at least once a year, we can say that manual defrosting in convenience and maintenance is not inferior to the advertised No Frost systems.
Regular defrosting and cleaning of the refrigerator is important for hygiene..
- Waste of time: complete thawing takes at least an hour and a half, but more often the whole process takes about half a day.
- Forced disconnection from the network resets the temperature settings in the chambers and freshness zones.
- If defrosting irregularly, the refrigerator will fail..
To increase the service life of the equipment, you need to frequently defrost the device..
Manual defrosting technologies
Steps to take when defrosting manually:
- Remove all contents from the refrigerator.
- Unplug to prevent injury or damage to parts.
- Open doors, pull out drawers and shelves.
- To prevent melt water from dripping onto the floor, manufacturers install special pallets. If there is no such container, then put a floor cloth near the refrigerator..
- Leave to defrost. There are two technologies: natural and accelerated. The natural process of ice melting can take up to 12 hours. It all depends on the degree of freezing. For accelerated technology, additional heat sources are used: a hair dryer, a heating pad, a container with boiling water. This method speeds up the process by 2-3 times, but it can lead to calling a repairman. Plastic, rubber seals and gaskets are highly susceptible to high temperatures.
- Go through all the extracted products, throw away the spoiled ones, wipe the jars and containers with a clean damp cloth, which will be put back at the end of the process. Since defrosting will take several hours, it is recommended to store clean food in a cool place..
- When the ice has completely melted, wipe the walls of the refrigerator with a solution of detergent and soda.
- Wipe the interior of the refrigerator thoroughly with a dry cloth. Install drawers and shelves.
- Connect to network.
Attention! In no case should you try to tear off or break off the ice “fur coat” with sharp objects.
After defrosting, you need to wash the refrigerator chambers with detergent..
Why do I need to manually defrost the freezer?
Before answering this question, you need to understand what manual defrosting of the freezer is. This is a forced disconnection of the refrigerator from the network and the expectation of natural thawing of ice. It is required to carry out when the ice cap is frozen with a thickness of more than 5 mm. Snow build-up on the walls of the freezer appears for two reasons:
- When storing large quantities of fresh food, the camera can switch to “high mode” to freeze meat, poultry and vegetables.
- When the door is opened frequently, warm air enters the freezer. Condensate freezes on the walls. This can lead to excessive ice formation..
Output. For modern freezers with a volume of less than 200 liters, which are opened several times a day, ice build-up is not a problem. Defrosting is only needed to clean up order and maintain hygiene. Once or twice a year will be enough.
If the ice in the freezer is more than 5 mm thick, manual defrosting is inevitable..
Important! In older models of refrigerators, defrost the freezer based on its condition. For proper operation, ice caps must not be allowed to form more than 2 cm.
Do I need to defrost refrigerators with the No Frost system?
As such, No Frost does not mean forgetting about defrosting. The basis is not so much a technical as a hygienic reason. The purpose of defrosting is not to destroy ice build-ups from the freezer and refrigerator, but to clean and eliminate unpleasant odors. True, the frequency of defrosting will be fundamentally different:
- New systems such as Frost Free, Full No Frost do not form frost, therefore, complete defrosting of refrigerators is recommended no more than once a year.
- First generation No Frost systems are not that perfect. They are thawed every 2-3 months to remove frost that appears in a small amount..
- Refrigerator models without this system are highly susceptible to the formation of frost and ice, therefore, they require frequent defrosting, at least once a month..
Although ice does not form in Nou Frost refrigerators, defrosting must be performed.
How to preserve food when defrosting
Defrosting takes only a few hours, so in winter the issue of preserving food is not very relevant. You can take all the contents of the freezer to the balcony or hang it in a bag outside the window.
In summer, even 1 hour spent in the heat can ruin sausages, cheese and dairy products. You can put perishable items in a large saucepan, having previously shifted them with pieces of frozen meat and wrapped in newspaper. Then cover the pan with a blanket..
Warm water is an excellent defrosting method for older refrigerators..
Note! You can use insulated bags and bags (“thermal bags”), which are sold in supermarkets.
- Hot water will help to quickly remove ice build-up in the freezer. Place a container of hot water on a folded towel at the bottom of the freezer and close the door. Steam rising from the bowl will melt ice faster.
- Instead of steam, you can turn on a hair dryer, directing a stream of hot air to the icy wall.
Attention! Incorrectly directed hot air flow or placing a hot appliance next to gaskets and plastic elements are the main causes of refrigerator breakdown..
To avoid sudden changes in temperature, you can put a saucer with salt or table vinegar in the freezer, which “corrodes” the ice. Thoroughly wash all internal surfaces after such a procedure..
Frequent defrosting contributes to the correct operation of the refrigerator.
Summing up, it should be noted the importance of manual defrosting, regardless of the model of the refrigerator. Frequent defrosting is not required. However, if a year has passed since the last defrosting or frost with a thickness of more than 5 mm has formed on the inner walls, you should disconnect the device from the mains and let it thaw. While the refrigerator is off, you can go through the contents of the refrigerator compartment and freezer. Throw away expired and spoiled food, and then wash the inner shelves and drawers. Thus, manual defrosting guarantees a long service life of the refrigerator and the health of its owners..
How to quickly defrost a freezer or freezer in the fridge