How to make a townhouse design comfortable and practical
In developed countries, townhouses are considered to belong to the middle class. And it is no coincidence. This type of housing has a number of advantages:
- It is not as high in cost and not as expensive to maintain as cottages and especially mansions.
- On the other hand, it is a separate house, unlike apartments in multi-apartment buildings, but comparable to the latter in terms of price and running costs. The townhouse has its own entrance, facade, roof, etc., even if the walls are common with neighbors.
- Blocks with this type of development are located, as a rule, in prestigious, clean, prosperous areas located closer to urban centers than areas of cottages. This is convenient for people who need regular trips to the downtown area..
- No parking problem. The car can be parked right under the windows, there is enough space. But most modern projects include a garage..
- A small plot of land is attached to the housing, where you can arrange your own lawn, a flower bed, an alpine slide, put a brazier, a barbecue grill, a couple of sun loungers with a table.
Townhouse – a two-story cottage, less often three floors, having common walls with neighboring houses
Certainly not a city apartment, but not quite a country house yet
Organization of space
It is better to plan the organization of space – walls, stairs, ceilings at the stage of construction or even designing a townhouse. The approach chosen will determine the choice of interior design in the townhouse. Two or three floors, an attic, a garage, stairs, a roof, a porch allow you to implement several separate solutions, avoiding an unacceptable mixture of styles and eclecticism. But you can withstand the townhouse design project in general.
A variant of the planning solution for a townhouse for 3 owners
Townhouse layout with a total area of more than 200 square meters
The standard layout provides for the location of utility rooms (garage, utility room, kitchen, laundry room, etc.) on the first (basement) floor, and a living room is sometimes located there. Children’s rooms are assigned to the upper floor or attic. The middle floors are usually inhabited by adults, and common areas are also located here. It is better for old people or people with disabilities to take the lower rooms. The houses where these categories of people live have special requirements: non-threshold space; low location of switches, door handles, hangers, tables; wide doorways; the presence of special devices with an electric drive; special design of bathrooms, etc..
Ladder: design feature or hindrance?
The choice of stairs when developing a townhouse design should be given special attention. They can become a special feature of the house, or they can create a problem by absorbing a lot of space..
Often it is the staircase that determines the style of the townhouse design.
The staircase can be made as inconspicuous as possible, or, conversely, it can be distinguished in the interior.
There are several types of stairs:
- screw – beautiful, but, as a rule, steep, and also have a central pillar, which does not always harmonize with the general concept of the interior;
- single-span – simple, but require the allocation of space of a certain length, or may be too steep;
- in several spans with intermediate platforms they fit into a room of any shape, but take up a lot of space;
- bolt (steps are attached to the wall or two walls with a platform in the corner) – elegant, efficiently use up space, but roads and require a capital wall for fastening.
The spiral staircase is compact and suitable for small spaces
Their types of stairs can be combined. For example, make one flight as usual, and the second, after the intermediate platform, on the bolts. In addition, in some cases, for example, if the attic is uninhabited (in fact, the attic), retractable stairs can be used. The space under the stairs can be left open, combining with the volume of the room, although there are many successful solutions that harmoniously fit into the overall interior design of the townhouse.
Marching stairs are quite dimensional, they look perfect in a classic interior
The space under the stairs can be:
- set aside for a wardrobe, a kitchen wall, a bookcase;
- take drawers;
- arrange for the habitation of pets;
- use for the device of an additional bathroom or shower;
- use under a children’s corner.
The stairs on the bolts are the most original
Affordable Townhouse Design Tools
Two floors of a townhouse provide endless possibilities for planning and arranging living space
It is used as an element of bathroom decoration, as well as to create the illusion of increasing space in common areas. Moreover, within the framework of the interior design of a townhouse, you can create a vertical illusion by combining mirrored tiles on the ceiling with glass panels and open sections of floors. In addition, it is interesting to combine mirror tiles with the original interior lighting system..
Tiles with a mirror surface come in various sizes and shapes.
Mirror tiles can be used to revet not only walls, but also the ceiling and even a fireplace.
Photo wallpaper and wall painting
A convenient and inexpensive tool for both a full-fledged townhouse design project and for decorating individual rooms. Well suited for temporary solutions as well. Easy to upgrade. Small children can ruin walls, and they grow, and what was suitable for small children is no longer suitable for teenagers. And those, in turn, often change tastes..
Before choosing a wallpaper, you need to understand where you will glue them. It can be one print on an accent wall or a whole panorama, for example, in the form of a cityscape.
Evening mountains on the bedroom wall
Instead of sticker of photo wallpaper, you can also do the author’s painting on the walls..
Frescoes in the hallway highlight the classic style of residential apartments
Artistic painting looks great in the interior of the bedroom
Suitable for a variety of design elements in bathrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, offices. But it can be used as an element of interior decoration in a futuristic, avant-garde style. A great tool for daring experiments.
The multidimensional effect makes the 3D coverage “alive” – the drawings look so real that the impression of their volume is created
3D effect tiles expand space and create perspective
Rather a tribute to the classics, but never go out of style.
Wood panels are useful for highlighting an accent wall
Natural wood panels are best used in dry rooms. There are options with a special coating to protect against moisture, but in this case, the environmental friendliness of the material suffers
The design of the townhouse in a modern style provides for the use of appropriate furniture. Among the new products that are actively used are frameless armchairs and sofas, massive wooden furniture in natural colors, furniture in a futuristic style, with its indefinite shapes and original colors..
Antique furniture in a Victorian living room
Comfortable soft sofas in oriental style
Luxurious furniture in classic style
Open and understandable living room space in a modern style
Furniture with simple shapes in a minimalist style
Video: 50 options for a comfortable townhouse interior
Photo of interiors of modern townhouses