Features of choosing a corner wardrobe
The main difference between this model of the wardrobe is in its shape, which allows you to place this furniture in a small room. Such products save more space without losing functionality. A large variety of forms allows you to fit it into any room interior. In spacious rooms, it perfectly complements the interior, allowing you to fill the corner.
The corner wardrobe looks modern, spacious and matches any setting
Advantages and disadvantages of a corner cabinet
Such a cabinet received great popularity for its positive qualities with minor negative points..
This furniture is now at the peak of popularity, so manufacturers offer a wide range of models, which means it will not be difficult to choose a cabinet to your taste.
Important! When choosing a corner wardrobe, special attention should be paid to the reliability of the door structure – it is most susceptible to wear and tear.
Types of corner cabinets
By structure, it is divided into built-in, case and modular.
An embedded product is created from existing walls. The facade and additional walls are attached to them, if necessary. Sliding door rails are installed on the floor and ceiling. This design makes it possible to integrate furniture into the interior, thereby achieving greater efficiency. However, it cannot be transferred to another location. An important requirement for this design is perfectly flat surfaces of the walls, ceiling and floor. Otherwise, the finished product may come out skewed and unsuitable for use..
The built-in wardrobe will always be in one place. Moving such a structure is comparable to making a new piece of furniture.
The case design implies the presence of completely all walls. It is often a collapsible structure that can be easily assembled at a selected location. This makes it portable as opposed to the built-in version. However, the transfer implies that it will have to be completely disassembled, and then reassembled in a new place. The size is often selected in such a way that the top is right up to the ceiling – then all the available space is used in the most optimal way..
The cabinet cabinet has its own base, side panels and ceiling. If necessary, the structure can be easily moved to another place
Modular differs from hull in that it consists of several independent parts. It is ideal for people who like to periodically change the arrangement of furniture in the apartment. So you can change the look of the cabinet simply by swapping the modules..
The good thing about modular systems is that they provide practically unlimited options for completing. You can put as many sections as you like
Also, corner cabinets are subdivided according to the shape of their design. Moreover, each option has its own characteristics, pros and cons..
Options for corner wardrobes
- larger volume;
- simple construction;
- low cost;
- take up more volume.
Triangular (aka diagonal) cabinets are made without side walls
- good capacity;
- convenient to combine with other furniture;
- the shape is not conducive to permutation.
Trapezoidal asymmetric model
- rational and fully functional use of space;
- go well with other furniture;
- look more compact than triangular;
- usually the door opens outward, which requires space.
Five-walled – the most massive cabinets with the greatest functionality
- unique design;
- complex construction;
- high price.
Compact model of a radius cabinet for the hallway
- low price;
- less optimal use of space.
The L-shaped version is a combination of two straight cabinets connected together
Corner cabinet design
First of all, when choosing a design, it is necessary that it blends well with the interior of the room. For small rooms, it is better to look at models with a color to match the walls. So it will stand out less and visually continue the line of the walls, increasing the visible dimensions of the room. Glass surfaces will multiply the effect of visually enlarging the space. For large rooms, you can choose a contrasting design, thus creating a cozy corner in a large space.
A wardrobe in light colors helps to expand the space of the room
- MDF, fiberboard. The material veneered or covered with a decorative film benefits from an affordable price. Wardrobes with such a facade are suitable for many traditional types of interior.
- Mirror. Mirrored doors and front walls help to visually expand the visible boundaries of the room. Can be decorated with matte painting, which looks very elegant.
- Strained glass. Cabinets with glass translucent, matte or glossy walls look great in hi-tech, minimalist or modern rooms. At the same time, a wide range of glass colors and decor gives free rein for design decisions. The disadvantage of this solution is the relatively high cost.
- Photo printing. It is often done by gluing a high-quality photo printed on adhesive vinyl onto an MDF backing. Although it can be attributed to cabinets with MDF facade decoration, however, its unique appearance allows it to be distinguished into a separate category..
- Decorative acrylic. Acrylic sheets are usually translucent, but can have a matte as well as glossy finish. They can replace glass in the design of the facade. High strength, good appearance and rich assortment of colors give acrylic a big plus in combination with a relatively low cost..
- Bamboo. This material looks great in the interior and has good strength and water resistance. The bamboo facade has its own beauty and nobility. It has excellent qualities for furniture, but on the other hand, it is quite expensive..
- Rattan is another exotic material for cabinet decoration, which is made from liana. Due to its resistance to humidity, it is even used for bathroom furniture. The appearance is very easy to change because rattan is easy to paint.
- Combined option. In this design, a mirror or glass is usually combined with fiberboard or other material..
Corner wardrobe for a classic interior
When determining the dimensions, the easiest way is to choose the height of the product – usually they choose a model with a height for the ceiling or a few centimeters below.
Examples of drawings of corner cabinets with dimensions
When choosing a place for installation in an apartment, it is worth considering the minimum dimensions:
- Standard products have a minimum corner wall length of 120 centimeters.
- There are smaller designs where one wall is shorter and is 80 centimeters.
- Five-wall models are suitable for small walls. At the same time, they protrude more towards the room.
- Departments are usually 60 or 45 centimeters deep. For the first case, a standard crossbar or pantograph is made for clothes. Due to the standard width of the hanger of 55 centimeters, for wardrobes less than 60 centimeters deep, special bars are installed to hang clothes parallel to the door.
Corner cabinet filling
Given the design features, there are several elements that are difficult to equip and use. Otherwise, the filling is no different from other models – shelves, baskets, drawers and a place for clothes hangers. The most difficult task is to functionally fill the corners and solve the problem with access.
Option for filling a modern wardrobe
Sharp corners are most difficult to fill in in a triangular piece. This is usually where shelves are placed, but you can also prepare them for storing long and narrow items such as ties or an umbrella..
Wardrobe with hanger in the corner
The next tricky place is the right angle against the wall. The best choice for this area is the hanger compartment. It is especially difficult to fill this corner in an L-shaped cabinet. In the absence of a partition, the crossbeams are fixed on a pole installed in the middle. In the case of a partition, you will have to put up with some inconvenience when accessing things in the corner..
The rest of
In the remaining part, shelves or drawers can be placed, since the wardrobe section is already located in the corner. When determining the location of the drawers, it is worth placing them no lower than knee level for ease of use. The free space remaining up to the floor and ceiling is filled with shelves.
Pull-out shoe shelves
Convenient mesh baskets
The bottom of a closet installed in a hallway is often used to store shoes. Then 30-centimeter-high shelves are made..
Location of the corner cabinet in the house
Features of the structure and design allow you to place such a wardrobe in any room, be it a bedroom or a hallway. Due to the growing popularity, it will not be difficult to find a model that is suitable in shape, size and design. For a too exotic design look, you can turn to a company that produces custom-made furniture..
The cost of the cabinet will depend on the complexity of manufacture, material and internal equipment.
A corner wardrobe is perfect for a bedroom – sliding doors will reduce the required space. When choosing a color scheme for furniture, preference should be given to lighter models to match the tone of the walls.
In the bedroom, if the available space allows, you can equip a dressing room. Due to its location, it does not take up much space, and the correct design of the facade will help to fit it into the interior of the bedroom..
In fact, this is no longer quite a closet, but rather a small dressing room.
The mirrored surface of the facade will help to increase the visual volume of the bedroom. Also, such a door will act as a mirror..
For a living room, the corner option is much better than a wall cabinet. The radius concave model will look especially good. Thanks to the special shape, the corner will look more rounded, while leaving more free space in the center of the living room..
Smooth contours of concave or convex cabinets create an original design
The color of the facade of the selected product in the living room for a small area should be in tune with the design, as usual, light. For a large room, you can choose a contrasting color..
When deciding on the filling of the cabinet, you should think about open shelves. They are perfect for books, souvenirs, various decorative elements of the interior. Thus, you can arrange the living room so that the interior reflects the interests and hobbies of the residents..
A children’s room requires a special attitude when choosing decoration, design and materials for furniture. Breakable materials like glass are not suitable for a nursery; instead, you need to choose more natural wood or MDF products..
A light color will allow the child to relax more than a dark one. In this case, the main color can be supplemented with a bright design in the form of a picture or applique.
In the room of a young child, it is better to choose a wardrobe with multi-colored facades or with the image of his favorite cartoon characters
Multifunctional products are well suited for a small room. Usually the wardrobe is combined with a desk or bed..
Corner wardrobe with bed. In this version, the bed can be built into the elements of the cabinet, forming the second floor from above, or it can be installed on the side. Any remaining space under the bunk should be used for cabinets, shelves or drawers..
Corner wardrobes are often offered as part of various furniture sets
A built-in writing desk in the closet is also quite popular. In this case, a convenient place is formed for the child to engage in studies or hobbies. The shelves around the table can be used to store textbooks, books, and other supplies. Complement the filling with a wardrobe on the side and drawers.
Another option is to combine a bed, table and wardrobe in one piece of furniture. For example, the bed can be located on the second floor, and underneath it can be equipped with a table and shelves. Then place the compartment for clothes on the other side of the corner together with additional shelves..
In the case when there are some restrictions on funds, you can pick up a standard model and decorate it with applique, creating a cozy nursery.
Preference for a corner cabinet in the hallway should be given when the shape of the room is more square, or there are two adjacent blank walls. Otherwise, such furniture will not be profitable and inconvenient for comfortable use..
A wardrobe with mirrored doors is well suited for the hallway.
The wardrobe in the hallway has some features that must be present. First of all, you need a place for outerwear. The lower part is great for shoe shelves. The built-in bedside table with a mirror also looks good, where you can put all sorts of small things like keys..
Tips for choosing a wardrobe – compartment
When choosing and buying a cabinet, you should follow some basic tips:
- first decide on a future location;
- then choose a design option: whether the cabinet will be built-in or not;
- after choosing the type of cabinet, it is worthwhile to start measuring and planning the form, it is better to draw possible plans on paper while maintaining proportions;
- after determining the shape and size of the furniture, they determine the design and color that would fit into the created interior;
- next is to determine the material for the cabinet and facade;
- choose the filling and determine the location of the main required elements, while taking into account the location of the cabinet and all the required functions.
Mirrored facades of the visual will increase the area of the room
Video review of models of corner wardrobes
Corner wardrobes in the photo