How to remove the smell from the refrigerator at home is easy and simple
An unpleasant smell in the refrigerator can spoil the food stored in it. Sometimes getting rid of the musty or damp smell is not as easy as it might seem at first glance. Today you will learn how to remove the smell from the refrigerator without spending the whole weekend on it..
An unpleasant smell in the refrigerator can spoil the food stored in it..
Causes of occurrence
There can be quite a few reasons for the appearance of an unpleasant odor. Among the most common are the following.
1. The owners were forced to leave for a long time, leaving the basic set of food in the refrigerator. You can include eggs, open sauces, vegetables, canned food, open rolls.
2. Power outages. If there was no light for several hours, then the vapors that formed inside the refrigerator, and then froze, can be absorbed into the case itself..
3. The refrigerator was broken and was inoperative for a long time.
4. Clogged drain hole. A common cause, especially if the refrigerator is regularly opened or washed.
5. Food has gone bad. No one is safe from a cracked egg, moreover, a stale product can easily get lost in a bag with vegetables, which will cause an unpleasant odor.
6. New technology. Very often, after purchase, products begin to be saturated with the smell of freon. This is especially true of the freezer, which freezes “smell” food. Eating them is not only unpleasant, but also unsafe..
7. Mold – if no one takes care of the refrigerator, it starts to form in the sections where vegetables are stored or on the side walls. It can not be seen with the naked eye, as it often hides under a layer of ice. This is especially true for older models..
Even an improperly set temperature in the refrigerator can cause an unpleasant odor. You can list the possible options endlessly, so it is worth highlighting several effective ways that will get rid of the problem..
Even an incorrectly set temperature in the refrigerator can cause an unpleasant odor..
Ways to get rid of odor
You can highlight both folk remedies for eliminating odor, and commercial ones, which turn out to be no less effective and fast-acting. In fact, it all depends on the neglect of the problem. In some cases, it is impossible to do without a chemical composition that will completely destroy the focus.
You can highlight both folk remedies for eliminating odor, and commercial ones, which turn out to be no less effective and fast-acting..
Important! The products themselves will have to be cleaned, which in fact are still usable. Which of the ways to choose, each housewife decides for herself separately.
Speaking about folk remedies that have been tested by grandparents for years, before listing them, we can highlight the preparatory stages.
1. Switch off the refrigerator. This is the very first and most important stage, which is responsible for safety..
2. Take all food out of the refrigerator and check its quality. What has deteriorated immediately send to the trash bin and take it out to the designated place.
3. The remaining food must be rinsed and dried. If these are vegetables, be sure to rid them of the soil and check for mold. Dry with a regular paper towel. If these are packages of sauces, be sure to check the expiration date and wipe with a solution of soda, dry.
4. The refrigerator must be completely defrosted, the shelves must be removed, and small debris in the form of earth, bags, crumbs, etc. must be disposed of..
5. Move the equipment away from the wall, remove the place where the refrigerator stood, and conduct a visual inspection of the back.
After the equipment is actually ready for cleaning, you can start choosing the most effective remedy..
1. Vinegar solution – good for removing pungent and nasty odors. Made from a 50/50 proportion of water and vinegar. It is better to work with rubber gloves, since damage to the skin and nails will have to be disposed of separately.
2. A baking soda solution is ideal for removing stains, yellowness and unpleasant odors. Many people recommend doing just a liquid solution (1 tablespoon per 1 liter of water), but this method is more suitable for prevention. If the problem is “deep”, then it is better to make a small amount of gruel and start cleaning the refrigerator with it. Unlike other products, baking soda does not lead to scratches and cracks, moreover, it copes well with mold..
3. Ammonia is a remedy for the most neglected problems. The solution is made from 1 tbsp. tablespoons of alcohol per 1 liter. water. The refrigerator must be ventilated after it, otherwise in the future the products will be saturated with its smell.
These are the main methods that will help get rid of even running problems. It is worth highlighting the main disadvantages..
- It will take a long time. In fact, the entire procedure will have to spend at least 2 hours, since not only the body and the inside of the refrigerator need to be cleaned, but also all removable components. After the solution, you will have to wash the refrigerator several times to completely remove particles: soda, vinegar, etc..
- Does not completely eliminate the unpleasant odor. If a spoiled product or mold has been in the refrigerator for a long time, the product will not be able to completely eliminate the smell..
As a preventive measure, it is advisable to wipe the seals every day with a solution, which also cause an unpleasant odor. The easiest way to do this is with a citric acid solution (1 teaspoon per 1 liter of water). The solution is applied once, the second time the hostess wipes the seals with a damp cloth, the third time wipes with a dry.
As a preventive measure, it is advisable to wipe the seals every day with a solution, which also cause an unpleasant odor.
It is worth immediately highlighting several advantages of commercial products for cleaning and eliminating unpleasant odors in the refrigerator..
1. Save time – no need to stand to wipe off stains. The ready-made solution immediately penetrates into hard-to-reach places and eliminates the main cause of the unpleasant odor.
2. Effective – the chemical composition allows you to kill even the most persistent bacteria and microbes. The smell is eroded by the powerful fragrance used by the manufacturer.
One balloon, vial or bottle of the product is enough for several dozen procedures. Therefore, their cost is fully paid off within a few months. Moreover, modern tools are completely safe and easy to use. The most effective are the following.
1. Soap solution – preferably made from household. Cleans surfaces well and removes odors.
2. Toothpaste – returns shine and eliminates musty odor. If the refrigerator has not worked for a long time, it is with this tool that you should start.
3. EdelWeiss is a multifunctional product for cleaning not only the freezer, but also the microwave. Sold in the form of a spray that is applied to the walls and shelves of the refrigerator. It is necessary to wait 10-15 minutes, then wipe with a damp cloth.
4. TopHouse – most often sold as a set. Ideally tackles a myriad of causes of odor. Easy to use, economical.
5. Refrigerator cleaner from Light House is a versatile and fast-acting product. Suitable for both outdoor and indoor use. Especially effective against mold.
Additionally, you can use an odor remover in the freezer and refrigerator in the form of an absorber, which costs up to 200 rubles per package. They usually look like small balls or bags. Not effective if the refrigerator has not been previously cleaned.
What to do if the odor is not removed?
The hardest thing to clean the refrigerator is if it has spoiled fish or meat. The smell eats into the body, and even washing may not save it. In this case, only complex measures that are worth highlighting in the list can be..
1. The refrigerator turns off. The shelves are removed and cleaned with a special solution chosen by the hostess. Salmon is better for removing fish and meat odors..
2. The walls are treated with a commercial product that penetrates even hard-to-reach places. Seals and corners are separately cleaned with toothpaste.
3. The refrigerator is rinsed with clean water and left closed for several days with an odor absorber..
If the problem persists, you can try rinsing it again and leaving it open for a few days. In the most advanced cases, it is advisable to pay attention to the internal component, most often the problem is in the drain, where small particles fall. If you can get to this part on your own, then there will be no problems after cleaning, if access is closed, it is advisable to call the wizard.
If the problem has not been resolved, you can try rinsing it again and leaving it open for a few days..
Freezer maintenance is more time consuming. You can get rid of amber only if you completely defrost it and clean it from food residues. It is imperative to disinfect and dispose of products that were previously there. If a smell appears in the freezer, it means that something has deteriorated. In any case, it is no longer worth using a sealed product..
After the cleaning procedure, the freezer should be wiped dry and covered for several hours with an odor absorber. Best of all, if the problem is running, use a powerful lemon scent.
Best of all, if the problem is running, use a powerful lemon scent.
Once a week, be sure to check the freezer for leaks and rinse the seal. Excess moisture must not be allowed to appear. All products must be carefully selected and stored in special bags. For these purposes, it is better to choose zip bags with a fastener..
For these purposes, it is better to choose zip bags with a fastener..
Separately, there are several relevant recommendations for household cleaning and prevention..
1. The new models have two main modes: “fast freezing” and “storage”. If the products were just purchased, then the first mode is set for several hours. After that, it must be rearranged for storage..
2. Do not put fresh food with frozen food. The first ones are placed on a high shelf, already frozen on the lower one. This is the only way to avoid unauthorized defrosting, which leads to an unpleasant odor..
3. If the products smell of freon, you should immediately contact a specialist. Most often, such a problem arises with new equipment, which is why it must first be washed and dried..
4. As absorbers, it is desirable to use special commercial products that do not freeze at low temperatures..
Experts recommend defrosting new models with automatic defrosting once every six months. It is imperative to carry out disinfection and cleaning, which will help get rid of various bacteria and microbes..
To avoid problems with an unpleasant odor, even folk remedies and timely care will help. How to Get Rid of Fridge Odor Using an Absorbent Quickly at Home.
1. Beads of silica gel. Usually found in shoes or when buying equipment. Additionally, you can ask in a shoe store, their staff can give for free. You can place it in each closed compartment, 5 pieces are enough for six months.
2. Grind the activated carbon, put it in a gauze bag. Such a remedy perfectly copes with an unpleasant odor..
If you add a little rice, then you can save the refrigerator from excess fumes. It is advisable to change the bag once every two weeks..
Optionally, you can use commercial saline bags or balls. The composition allows not only to remove the smell, but also to eliminate bacteria. The most expensive and efficient way is to purchase a special automatic absorption device. Inside there is a special saline solution that also disinfects the storage chamber.
If you add a little rice, then you can save the refrigerator from unnecessary fumes.
Important! Regular lemon can also cope with the problem of smell, especially if there is an unpleasant smell of fish. It is enough to divide it into two parts, squeeze the juice onto a plate and leave in the refrigerator for several hours..
Do not rely on the smell to go away on its own over time. If you run a problem, it will forever eat into the case and you will not be able to immediately remove it even with the help of expensive means..
Do not be upset if there is a problem with an unpleasant smell in the refrigerator. Even the best hostess may experience force majeure. The main thing is not to aggravate the problem and solve it immediately, do not forget that the products and their packaging must also be cleaned.
Do not be upset if there is a problem with an unpleasant smell in the refrigerator. Even the best hostess can experience force majeure..