Corner countertop for the kitchen: types of docking, varieties, tips for care and installation.
The kitchen worktop is the main workplace in the kitchen, therefore, the stronger the surface, the longer the worktop will remain aesthetically pleasing..
Here are the main criteria for choosing:
- resistance to pollution and odors;
- wear resistance;
- appearance and compliance with the interior;
- increased resistance to mechanical stress;
- heat resistance and resistance to temperature changes.
Corner original countertop in the interior of the kitchen.
Varieties of materials for corner countertops
According to the variety of materials, corner countertops can be:
- acrylic stone;
- marble or granite;
- glass surface;
- natural wood.
Modern kitchen interior with corner set.
Corner top made of laminated chipboard
Furniture made of chipboard and MDF is very afraid of water, the tabletop is no exception. The most popular type with an affordable price. Top width: 60 – 62 cm. These tabletops are made of chipboard (postforming) and are covered with a wear-resistant laminate under pressure. Manufacturers give a guarantee for a waterproof laminate flooring, but not for a chipboard board. This type has a low moisture-repellent level. If water gets on an untreated place, it will immediately swell. To exclude such situations. It is necessary to cover the non-laminated ends with a sealant (construction silicone).
Corner worktop in chipboard kitchen design.
Corner table top made of wood
It is considered an environmentally friendly and relatively democratic option. The most durable is the part of the kitchen covering that was collected in the workshop. And the corner joint is made on wooden rods with chamfers and glued under the press. Assembly is also possible at home, but then all parts of the tabletop will have to be fixed on screeds – clamps. For self-assembly of a corner kitchen countertop. It is advisable to order ready-made parts, evenly sawn and trimmed to size already in the workshop. At the junction, you need to apply wood glue.
Corner table top made of wood.
Corner top made of stone or tiles
Stone countertops are the most luxurious and expensive option. The stone goes to production as a solid slab, and there they make elements of the required dimensions from it. A dining table, a tabletop of a complex angular shape, is easier to make of natural stone. The glued joint on the top is almost invisible after polishing.
Artificial stone countertop.
A corner kitchen table made of tiles is an effective, but not cheap and complicated technical solution. To lay out a tiled surface perfectly flat, you need to find a right angle between two walls, if you allow an error, then irregularities will immediately be visible along the tiled seam.
For corner countertops, inexpensive materials such as stone-like acrylics, glass materials or metal can also be used..
Acrylic stone or artificial. This is an up-to-date solution for all times, thanks to the variety of textures and colors..
This surface has a number of advantages, including:
- impeccable aesthetic appearance;
- ease of care;
- increased strength and environmental friendliness;
- availability of repair and restoration.
Acrylic stone corner countertop.
Glass cover is an effective and competent design solution. Glass worktops are relevant in small spaces, glass does not hide the volume of the kitchen.
Has a number of advantages:
- ease of care, does not absorb unpleasant odors;
- fire resistant, not subject to mechanical stress;
- fit absolutely into any interior;
- environmental friendliness;
- large selection of colors and shapes.
Glass countertop in the kitchen.
Metallic is one of the earliest coatings for kitchen areas. The distinctive qualities of this species include:
- ease of cleaning and increased hygiene;
- heat resistant;
- wear-resistant, not subject to mechanical damage;
- variety of metal for manufacturing.
Metal worktop in kitchen design.
Corner kitchen styles
The corner worktop is very practical in the distribution of kitchen space, it will fit well in both large and small kitchens. The assortment of stores offers a great variety of design projects for corner countertops using a variety of finishes. In most cases, a corner tabletop is used as a dining table..
Creative worktop in kitchen design.
The most common styles from store catalogs:
- Classic style. This is an interior with ample space and the use of natural stone in the countertop. The most common colors are light colors, white, beige. Household appliances hidden behind kitchen facades.
- The Hi-Tech style is a distinctive feature of the models – the severity of the lines, the absence of unnecessary lines, everything is laconic. Lightweight metal structures are used. The most common color palettes: metallic, black, red, indigo, light green, sunny colors.
- Style “Country” a distinctive feature is the use of natural wood or MDF, chipboard, very well combined with a cage or tile.
- The Electrician style is suitable for small L-shaped spaces. Possible varied combination of a corner dining table and decor in the whole kitchen. This style is for people who like to experiment and have a rich imagination..
Corner worktop fits easily into large and small spaces.
For the installation of the kitchen covering, in addition to the corrugated board itself, you will need the following materials:
- Aluminum docking strip, corresponding to the section and thickness and direction of the slab turn. They are selected for the characteristics of the slab (thickness, roundness).
- Ties – clamps per joint – 2 pcs. To connect the working surface, you need ties 100 mm long.
- Silicone wood sealant to protect countertops from moisture.
Joints of parts of countertops.
Which option for joining the countertop to choose?
Docking worktops can be done in two ways:
- The first is when the table top is joined without a segment. Two canvases are joined at right angles on kitchen cabinets.
- The second option, docking with a segment, is intended for a corner cabinet of a kitchen set. It turns out a turn through a segment.
Docking in two parts, made at a strict right angle of 90 ° with a minimum gap. If, for some reason, the gap is large, then you can use the corner connector.
Two-piece corner tabletop.
Docking of a worktop with a segment for a corner base cabinet. Standard segment dimensions are 90cm × 90cm × 60cm.The front edge is of two types – rounded or straight.
Corner table top in three parts.
Joinery or silicone glue is usually used for joints, but for a more reliable fix, a special metal joint can be used..
One-piece kitchen cover is made to measure for kitchen cabinets. If the measurements are made accurately, then such a tabletop is simply placed on the modules and fixed with self-tapping screws..
Solid faux stone countertop.
IMPORTANT! One-piece worktop without joints will last longer than its counterparts with joints.
Ways to connect parts of the countertop
The ideal worktop is a solid worktop. If the countertops are in the shape of the letter “L” then the modules must be connected to each other.
The most common connection methods are:
- joint to joint without euro saw;
- joint to joint with Euro saw;
- using a T-shaped aluminum profile.
Docking through the bar
The connection of the modules takes place without a euro-saw. The joint is closed with an aluminum profile bar. The main thing in this process is to maintain tightness. Before joining, it is necessary to treat the rack of the plank and the ends of the countertop with silicone sealants in order to prevent moisture from getting there in the future..
Docking the worktop with an aluminum strip.
It is necessary to fix the tabletop slabs with clamps to the module avoiding gaps as much as possible, subsequently water will accumulate in these gaps, and the tabletop will begin to swell. You also need to install additional side walls. We make markings for C-shaped washers of clamps and grooves for ties at a distance of 55mm, this marking is made on the back side of all mounted planes. In this case, we take into account the presence of a T-shaped profile and the location of the sink or built-in equipment. The distance between the clamps should be between 60 – 150 mm. If it is not possible to mount two screeds, we mount one in the middle.
Connecting parts of countertops with screeds.
IMPORTANT! Install additional side walls to avoid sagging and punching the edges.
Connection of kitchen worktops using euro-washed
For the kitchen covering to serve for a long time. It must be neatly and correctly connected to each other. To get a flawless joint, you need to use a high-quality milling machine. A well-made joint using a new pattern will leave a barely noticeable gap at the end of a fraction of a millimeter.
Disadvantages of such a connection: for a perfect joint with the use of a Euro saw, a proportionally equal angle and walls in the apartment are required. If the walls are uneven, then there will be a gap between the end face and the wall. When installing the headset with the letter “P”, the curvature of the walls will break the arrangement – the gaps will be along all the walls. You will have to fix the gaps with special strips. If the walls in the kitchen are not even, then it is better to dock the kitchen set in another way..
Connecting a corner tabletop using a Euro saw.
IMPORTANT! It is necessary to connect the kitchen parts of the countertop at such an angle that the plane creates the impression of a single whole.
Helpful tips for care and installation
Many problems can be avoided by following simple tips for caring for your worktop..
- Wipe off water immediately from the countertops, especially in the joint seams.
- Use a cutting board to avoid scratches and chips
- Wipe lightly soiled with a cloth or sponge
- Remove stains as soon as they appear with PH neutral products
- Furniture polishes are not suitable for corner countertops, they leave a greasy film on the surface, on which all dirt and microbes adhere.
When leaving, avoid aggressive cleaning agents.
As for the installation, there are also a number of rules that must be followed:
- To cut holes for the hob or sink, you first need to make holes along the contour along the contour, and then connect them with an electric jigsaw
- All places of cut and sawing are treated with silicone sealants.
- Cutting points must be masked under plastic or metal profiles
- The end of the countertop must be treated with sealants.
- Sawing a tabletop is easier on a machine or jigsaw.
Installing a corner kitchen unit.
Video: Corner joining of countertops
50 photo ideas for the design of corner countertops