DIY curtains for the kitchen with patterns
A kitchen curtain should decorate the room, and at the same time be comfortable. Therefore, when choosing a fabric, before sewing curtains for the kitchen with your own hands, you should take into account many factors. This is the ease of care and the fire safety of the fabric. But we should not forget about the main purpose – to complement the interior design with the help of beautiful curtains..
The kitchen curtain should decorate the room, and at the same time – be comfortable.
Original ideas for sewing
There are many ideas for decorating a room and complementing the interior with curtains. Designers advise the following.
- To make plain curtains not seem trivial, you can make a contrasting lining. It can be dark or light, monochromatic and patterned. Such curtains look very original..
- You can also use contrasting fabrics when sewing a set of curtains. If you have a large window, then instead of one wide curtain, you can make two or four of fabrics of contrasting colors (for example, beige and dark red, or dark gray and white).
- Sew curtains from combined horizontal stripes of different types or colors of fabric. It is necessary that they be combined with each other. It also requires some skill, because a straight line is needed..
These are just some of the tips for sewing original curtains for the kitchen. The rest depends on the imagination of the hostess.
Important! When choosing a material to sew curtains for your kitchen with your own hands, you should take into account what type of stove is in the kitchen and evaluate the flammability of the curtain material. In no case should synthetic curtains be hung near the gas stove..
Materials for sewing curtains are divided into two large groups..
- Natural fabrics.
- Cotton. It is recognized as the safest material due to the non-combustible properties of cotton and the absence of synthetics in the composition. At cost, the most affordable of natural fabrics. Minus – can quickly fade in the sun.
- Linen. Linen curtains have a beautiful texture and are absolutely safe. Just like cotton, they fade in the sun.
- Silk. It is not recommended for sewing curtains in the kitchen. After all, despite all the decorative qualities, silk is a very demanding fabric to care for. It wrinkles easily and gets dirty very quickly..
- Wool. Natural wool fabric is also poorly suited for the kitchen. The reason is that wool absorbs all odors very quickly. Therefore, for a room where food is prepared, this is not the best option..
- Synthetic materials.
- Viscose. It is often used not in pure form, but with the addition of cotton. Viscose curtains are similar in texture to cotton, but at the same time they have a characteristic shine and remain bright for a long time.
- Bamboo, or bamboo viscose. Differs in softness and breathability. But inexpensive bamboo fabrics can be flammable due to the addition of synthetics..
- Acetate. Another name is “artificial silk”. It has the same shine and softness as silk fabric, but it is much easier to care for curtains made of such fabric than curtains made of silk..
- Modal. The fabric is quite expensive. Curtains made of it are outwardly similar to silk or velvet, but it is much easier to wash them..
When choosing a fabric in order to sew curtains for the kitchen with your own hands, you need to evaluate how such curtains will fit into the interior. For example, floral print curtains are good for a Provence or country kitchen. In general, for Provence, you need to choose fabrics that give maximum light..
When choosing a fabric in order to sew curtains for the kitchen with your own hands, you need to evaluate how such curtains will fit into the interior.
This is a light tulle, organza with a minimum of pattern, tergalette. Heavy jacquard is more suitable for a classic kitchen. And for a high-tech kitchen, blinds or their absence are best suited.
This is a light tulle, organza with a minimum of pattern, tergalette.
Step-by-step instructions for creating a pattern
Do-it-yourself curtains for the kitchen with patterns will be much more accurate and neatly made than curtains sewn “by eye”. First of all, you need to make measurements.
Do-it-yourself curtains for the kitchen with patterns will be much more accurate and neatly made than curtains sewn “by eye”.
Before you sew the curtains to your kitchen, you need to do the following.
- Decide on the model of future curtains.
- Take accurate measurements for all necessary parameters (length, width, height). For classic curtains, measurements are more difficult – it is necessary to take into account the width of the future cornice, and the distance from the window to the ceiling, and the dimensions of the walls (the distance from the window to the corner of the room).
- Find a suitable pattern or invent it yourself.
After that, they move on to making patterns and sewing curtains..
- The pattern is transferred to thick paper (unnecessary wallpaper is good for this). It is important to be accurate to scale..
- The details of the pattern are pinned to the fabric, outlined with chalk or a washable marker on the fabric. In this case, you must not forget to leave allowances for the seams (take into account the method of processing the edges).
- Parts (or part) of the future curtain are cut out. Before that, be sure to iron the fabric so that there are no distortions and folds..
- You can proceed to sewing. In the process, you need to think over the most convenient way of attaching curtains to the cornice. Will you sew the curtain tape for collection in folds, or the curtains will be hinged, depending on the general idea of the curtain, and the interior in which it will be located.
- Edges need to be finished. If this is not an original design move, then the edges with protruding threads will look more than sloppy. Methods can also be different – a regular seam with a hem or a bias tape.
From the first time, the ideal curtains for the kitchen with your own hands may not work. But there is no need to despair, as everything will come with experience..
From the first try, the ideal curtains for the kitchen with your own hands may not work. But there is no need to despair, as everything will come with experience..
Creation of a unique decor
Curtains are one of the means of creating an original and unique room decor. With the help of curtains, you can visually “expand” or narrow the space, darken, or vice versa, give more light. But what you need to build on is the general idea of the interior.
Curtains are one of the means of creating an original and unique room decor.
In a high-tech or loft kitchen, heavy velvet curtains will look ridiculous. And in a classic kitchen with an abundance of decor, minimalistic blinds with a geometric pattern will cut the eye.
In a high-tech or loft kitchen, heavy velvet curtains will look ridiculous..
- To create a country-style kitchen, use the same shade of fabric for curtains and other textiles. A drawing is required. The most popular are a cage, stripes, a flower, pictures on the theme of village life (fruits, vegetables, houses, etc.).
- Minimalistic kitchens are characterized by a minimum of textiles. Therefore, if curtains are used, then in the form of roller.
- For high-tech style, plain curtains in cold colors are most suitable..
- The Provence style kitchen emphasizes warm, pastel colors. Lightweight fabrics are used, but the curtains should not be “overloaded” with the pattern. Ornament with gilding is inappropriate here.
- Roman shades will look good in a classic kitchen. In this case, the emphasis is on the drawing. Both gilding and a complex ornament are suitable here. Jacquard curtains and tulle will also look good..
Also, when preparing for sewing, you need to evaluate the size of the window. It is not worth hanging a volumetric structure with a lambrequin on a small and narrow window. And on a large window, short curtains will be lost, cut exactly to the size of the window opening.
Creation of Roman blinds
It is a little easier to make a Roman blind with your own hands than a classic curtain. To construct a pattern, only the dimensions of the window are taken into account, since this type of curtain is fitted exactly to the window opening.
It is a little easier to make a Roman blind with your own hands than a classic curtain..
You need to decide on the type of attachment. If the window sills in the house are wide, then the curtains are fixed inside the window opening. If you choose the type of fastening outside the window, on the cornice, then you need to leave a small overlap, about 10 cm, outside the window.
You need to decide on the type of attachment.
To sew a Roman blind, you need:
- fabric and lining;
- sticky tape (the length is the same as the width of the curtain);
- two plastic rings for each future drawstring.
- cord for lifting curtains;
- wooden plank and weight.
The sewing sequence is simple.
- On the seamy side of the line along which the fold will pass, it is necessary to designate the places of future folds and rings at an equal distance.
- Process the edges of future curtains.
- Attach the sticky tape to the wooden plank (you can do this with a furniture stapler). The curtain will be held on it.
- Treat the top of the curtain, and also fix the Velcro tape on it.
- On the bottom of the curtain, make a fold for the weighting bar.
- Sew the finishing border on the wrong side in the necessary places. You can place the base and weighting agent in the resulting pockets..
- Sew on rings.
- Using adhesive tape, attach the top of the curtain to a wooden beam.
- The part of the cord on which it will be held should be fixed to the frame or near the window. Pull the cord through the rings, starting from the bottom. On the first ring, the lace must be fastened.
- Fasten the formed folds with a tape..
Next, you can attach the wooden plank to the frame. If you undo the braid, the curtain drops. Make sure that the tension is the same throughout the cords. After the last ring, you need to pull off the ends of all the cords and tie them in a knot. The ends sticking out of the knot are cut off. It remains only to fix the cord around the mount on the window.
If you undo the braid, the curtain drops.
Despite the long description of the process, in practice it is quite simple to make a Roman blind on your own..
Types of curtain clips
Clips and hooks for curtains can be selected for every taste. It all depends on what kind of decorative effect you want to achieve..
Clips and hooks for blinds can be selected for every taste.
- Metal clothespins are the most durable, but they should not be used on every fabric (they can damage tulle or organza)
- Clips made of plastic – they are often made in different colors and decorative shapes;
- Hooks – threaded through the loops on the curtain tape.
- Magnetic clamps. Does not require attachment to the cornice and connect the curtains to each other.
Also, when decorating, curtain hooks play an important role. They are made from a variety of materials and in a wide variety of colors and shapes. You can choose absolutely any pickup that will complement the composition on the window.
Also, when decorating, curtain hooks play an important role..
Models for inexperienced dressmakers
- Arched curtain – to sew such a curtain, it is enough to have minimal sewing skills. You can sew it even without a pattern. The main thing is to make accurate measurements of the window and add about 10 cm to the width (in order to get beautiful folds).
- “Cafe” curtains are curtains called “grandmother’s window”. One of the easiest curtains to create. These curtains are short and as curtains for the kitchen are made by hand without a pattern. Often they do not need a curtain rod (you can use a simple cord).
- Drawstring curtains. Usually they consist of three parts of fabric, more often the middle one is of a contrasting color with the side ones. Sewing such curtains also requires a minimum of sewing and measurement skills..
- Austrian curtains. They can be sewn from different fabrics, but tulle is recommended for the kitchen. When sewing them, as well as when sewing Roman blinds, it is important to observe the uniformity of the distance between the hooks..
Thus, in all the variety of styles and types of curtains for the kitchen, it is important to decide and choose exactly the option that will look harmonious in your interior. The key here is the imagination and skillful hands of the hostess.
In all the variety of styles and types of curtains for the kitchen, it is important to decide and choose exactly the option that will look harmonious in your interior.