How to use blinds in the interior
Blinds are one of the tools of a designer working with interiors. They are a multifunctional design with great aesthetic potential. Such an alternative to curtains for windows is beautiful and useful..
Modern technologies make it possible to create blinds that seriously compete with the usual curtains and curtains
Functional purpose of blinds
Blinds are used for:
- regulation of the degree of illumination of the room by the sun;
- protection from prying eyes;
- limiting dust and moisture entering the room;
Blinds allow you to adjust the level of natural light at your discretion, which traditional curtains are deprived of.
Thus, such a replacement of curtains allows you to make the room more comfortable and safe for humans..
Blinds in the interior as an artistic tool
In addition, blinds on the windows make the design of the room more interesting and stylish. There are some of the most common design tricks based on their application:
- Changing proportions. Vertical or horizontal stripes can visually adjust the proportions of the room. Make it taller or wider.
- Playing with light and shadow. Clearly delineated stripes of light and shadow, moving along the surfaces of floors, walls and furniture, are able to emphasize the peculiarities of their shape, the beauty of the materials used, and their texture. This works especially well for modern, laconic styles lacking decorative details..
- Introduction of colors and prints. There are blinds with almost any image, pattern, photo printing. With their help, you can noticeably revive the interior of the living room, nursery or bedroom, add brightness and contrasts to it..
Bright accent in the interior
In other words, blinds are a powerful artistic tool with great potential..
Refreshing blue jacquard blinds
There are a huge number of types of this product on the market. Different samples can vary greatly in price, appearance, functionality, and more. It is worth figuring out what kind of blinds exist. What are the unique features of the offered models.
Stylish blinds with an abstract pattern, matched to the upholstery of a gray sofa
Variety of materials: features of the most common options
Most often, there are metal, plastic, fabric or wood specimens. A comparison of the basic characteristics of blinds made of these materials is shown in the table:
|degree of vulnerability to sunlight||does not fade||fades a lot||fades a lot||almost does not fade|
|ability to resist the damaging effects of moisture||high||very high||low||high|
|degree of hygiene||easy to clean, does not absorb odors||easy to clean, does not absorb odors||relatively difficult to clean, absorbs odors||easy to clean, weakly absorbs odors|
|price||relatively high||low||low||relatively high|
As you can see from the table, each of the options has pros and cons. This is not to say that one of them is better than the rest. Different types of blinds are good for different situations..
Vertical blinds made of wide fabric stripes with leaf ornaments
Metal blinds in the interior
All the excellent characteristics of such an analogue of curtains, their enormous resistance to harmful influences, hygiene, durability, are covered by one unpleasant minus. They get very hot in the sun, and then give off their heat to the room, it becomes hot in it. Because of this, they are rarely used in living spaces – living rooms, bedrooms and offices. Only in non-residential rooms.
Aluminum blinds are easy to clean – just swipe with a damp sponge
Metal blinds, when touched during opening, emit a characteristic “clanging” sound
But for an open terrace in the garden, a veranda, a workshop, this option is perfect. Aluminum blinds look austere and graphic, fit well with modern and classic styles.
Advantages and disadvantages of plastic
Blinds made from this light technological substance are more common than any other kind. Despite not the best strength characteristics and a tendency to lose color over time, plastic is practical and convenient. And, importantly, cheap.
Cheap, poor quality plastic will quickly lose color and integrity
From the point of view of design, its possibilities are very wide. Plastics come in all shades and textures, they can easily be given a non-standard shape. Wave-like elements, for example, look very impressive..
Plastic lamellas are more resistant to mechanical stress than aluminum counterparts
In addition, vertical blinds are also made of plastic. And they, according to many, partly resemble classic curtains. And, due to this, they fit better into the interior of a residential building. They are also suitable for arched windows typical of some traditional architectural styles, emphasizing the symmetry of the room, if necessary..
Traditional material with a wide range of possibilities: fabric blinds
Housewives usually have more confidence in blinds made of eco-friendly cotton or smart polyester than plastic or, moreover, metal. And for the living space it is justified.
Yes, the fabric reacts more strongly to moisture, soot, fat. But, for example, in the living room, all these things are unlikely to occur often. It is quite possible to use fabric there. The same goes for bedrooms, study, library and other similar rooms..
The lamella fabric is impregnated with a moisture and dustproof compound
Among the advantages of the fabric are the following:
- Variety of options. Fabric blinds in the interior can be of any kind. Matter has no limitations in this sense. In addition, it makes it possible to choose from an unlimited range of colors and textures, you can make photo printing on it.
- Ease. Curtains of any design, based on fabric, do not require additional reinforcement of window frames. Accordingly, their installation is easier to carry out..
- Profitability. This is especially true when it comes to roll options that require significantly less material for manufacturing. As a result, the final product is cheaper..
- Feeling of coziness. Whether we like it or not, natural, natural elements are emotionally perceived by us as warmer. Therefore, the fabric is subconsciously felt by people as a more “cozy” solution, suitable for the living room, dining room, bedroom.
- Compatible with a wide variety of styles. Both modern and traditional styles work great with fabric. Classics require more restrained shades, modernity will well accept bright contrasts and bold prints. One way or another, you can choose the right kind of fabric blinds for almost any style..
Beautiful blinds from multi-colored strips of fabric
Cloth products, whether in segments or rolled, have great potential.
Features of wood blinds
Wooden blinds have good performance characteristics. They are durable, hygienic and can last a long time. In addition, many people highly value the appearance of wood, its smell, and environmental friendliness. It, like natural fabrics, subconsciously seems to people warm and homely..
Although wooden blinds are quite expensive, the game is worth the candle, because the sophistication and beauty of natural wood cannot be replaced by anything
Wooden slats will perfectly fit into any interior
There are, however, several disadvantages that make wood products not universal:
- First is the cost. It is significantly higher than that of fabric or plastic.
- Secondly, the limited range of colors. Sometimes it is difficult to find a tone that would harmonize well with the interior of the room..
- Finally, wood is quite difficult to combine with plastic. Therefore, in most cases, such blinds are installed on wooden windows..
Design, installation, fastening methods
Structurally, the blinds are long lamellas, fastened together with cables or slats. The constituent elements can be fixed stationary or be able to rotate. Depending on how the lamellas are located, the blinds are divided into vertical and horizontal.
Horizontal lamellas are fastened with thread along the edges, and wide ones also in the middle
Vertical fabric slats are strips of fabric with a weighted bottom
In this case, vertically fastened lamellas at the top and bottom are connected with special cornices. They can move along them like traditional curtains. That is, if you wish, you can push them apart and move them. The panels can also be rotated. This is done using a chain on the side..
Vertical blinds can be fixed to the wall above the window or to the ceiling
Sometimes fastening in the window opening is used
This is the most common variation of this curtain alternative. Located one above the other like steps of a ladder, the lamellas are connected together with cords. They can also be turned with a chain on the side. Also, the elements are collected at the top, thereby opening the window..
Horizontal blinds visually expand the room
Horizontal blinds can be matched to any interior
A feature of such blinds is that, unlike conventional curtains, they do not completely cover the window opening. They are attached directly to the frame.
Roller blinds, although they do not consist of slats, are also considered a type of blind. They represent a solid canvas, fixed from above, which is screwed onto a roller with the help of a special guide. Like the horizontal model, this structure is attached directly to the frame..
Roller blinds made of solid fabric
The variety of Zebra roller blinds is especially interesting. It is based on two layers of fabric made of alternating transparent and opaque stripes. By shifting these layers relative to each other, you can adjust the degree of illumination of the room. This ingenious solution allows for very interesting visual effects..
In the closed position, the blinds look like a solid canvas, in the open strip they “run over” each other, forming gaps for sunlight
Thus, different types of blinds are quite different. And the way they are installed depends entirely on the type of construction..
Tips for decorating a city apartment
The interior design process is very individual. Decisions in this area are made based on many factors. However, there are also several universal points..
Special requirements for the kitchen
There are more harmful things here: dirt, grease, moisture. Because of this, it is better to use plastic. It is easier to wash it, and if individual elements are damaged, only the damaged fragments can be replaced, and not the entire structure..
Plastic is the best option for decorating a kitchen window
Features of small apartments
With a lack of space, roll options seem to be a real salvation. They are installed directly on the windows and do not clutter up the space.
The mini-roller shutter system is convenient for installation on separate window sashes
Benefits of vertical blinds
On the contrary, they require more space and look more impressive. If you want to give your interior solemnity and solidity, give preference to this particular version. For example, in a spacious living room of a classic style, it will look just fine..
Contrasting combination of stylish black blinds with a red armchair
Do not be afraid of bold decisions, make the interior of your apartment interesting and unusual!
Video about the benefits of using blinds in a modern interior
Beautiful photos – blinds in the interiors of rooms