Classic style in the interior, what is it like?
Judging by the translation of the word “classicus” from Latin, the classics are a standard to be looked up to. And one cannot but agree with this. How many years have passed since the canons of the classic interior were invented, and they remain relevant to this day. But the term has another meaning – traditional. Due to its beauty and organic nature, the design, which has passed the test of time, still remains one of the most demanded in modern interiors..
Classics in a modern interior is something that never loses its relevance and does not get bored
Classics are different
If the designer is tasked with decorating an apartment or a room in a classic style, then he will have to explain what kind of room decoration is required. After all, classic interiors are different. The formation of the style was influenced by many factors in the course of its development. Therefore, the classics can be different.
- Antique. In the 18th century, interest in the art of Ancient Rome and Greece was revived. The classics in the interior have absorbed many elements from these ancient cultures – strict symmetry and geometry, ideal proportions, light colors, spacious and high rooms. A whole trend in art called classicism emerged..
Antiquity in the interior of the classic style
- With baroque, rococo and empire elements. All of these styles have left their mark on the classic style. Hence, elaborate candelabra, lush decor, picturesque tapestries and other luxury items.
Baroque luxury in a classic living room
- Multinational. Each European country has interpreted the concept of a classic in its own way and has introduced its own national spirit into it. Therefore, the French classics will be different from the Italian, English or Russian.
English style in a modern living room
- Modern. The classic style in the interior never gets old. On the contrary, he tries to keep up with the times. Clear symmetry, calm color palette, striving for minimalism, simple and elegant filling of the space are the basic techniques that are found in a modern classic interior..
Modern classics in the living room interior
The main features and canons of the classical style
Despite all the variety, the classic style in the interior has features common to all varieties..
- Subordination to symmetry. The basis for the creation of this style was the ancient Greek and Roman architectural rules. In antiquity, they attached great importance to geometry and structural harmony. Therefore, symmetry is the basis of the foundations, which must be present in the design of such a plan..
- Main axis. A classic interior is, above all, ideal proportions. The central axis helps to create them. The main composition is formed around it. The axis can be located in the center of the room if it is spacious. Or be in the corner of a room with small square meters.
- Spheres and hemispheres. The square and rectangle are the shapes that the classic adheres to. But there is one more configuration that plays an equally important role – the sphere. Arches, semicircular curves of the upper part of the windows, columns – without them it is already difficult to imagine a primordially classic interior.
- Abundant decor. Most often, the classics are associated with rich decoration and a mass of luxurious details. Among them are stucco moldings on the ceiling, carved furniture, textiles embroidered with golden threads..
- Severity. In contrast to the baroque exuberance, there is also a more moderate design. In modern interiors, classics are increasingly becoming ascetic. Ceiling moldings are replaced by more discreet moldings. The colors are predominantly light. The space becomes more practical, it is relieved of unnecessary details and unnecessary decor.
- Natural materials. A true classic will not tolerate chipboard, fiberboard, MDF or plastic. Only expensive and high-quality wood or stone finishes are acceptable. Precious metals and marble are often used. The floor is covered with parquet of expensive wood species. The decor is also no less expensive – expensive textiles, crystal chandeliers, natural wool carpets.
- National traits. The classic style of the interior should reflect the flavor of the country from which it was borrowed. For example, English classics are restrained and laconic, while French classics are pretentious and pompous..
The classic is suitable for the living room and bedroom, for the hallway and hall, for the kitchen and study
Classic interiors don’t come cheap but well worth it
Characteristic color scheme
There are no contrasting colors in the classic style. Only warm colors are used. Mostly taken from a palette of pastel shades..
Most typical tones:
Light pastel colors add softness to the interior
Dark colors are best used for accents and delineating areas.
So that the atmosphere does not turn into a monotonous and boring symphony, it is diluted with more saturated color notes. To do this, use deep tones of chocolate, coffee, amber or make the design more saturated by adding dark green colors. The room looks advantageous if the light colors are complemented by dark gray blotches. The classics in the interior will sound in a new way if you refresh them with indigo color. To create the effect of aristocratic gloss and luxury, gilding is used.
Classic style furniture
It is believed that the best classic-style furniture is made by Italian craftsmen. Although other global manufacturers can always offer a wide range of products of this type. After all, such furniture is always in demand due to its elegant design. Its appearance changes depending on the style. If Rococo elements are present, then the legs of tables, chairs and armchairs will be curved. And the influence of the Empire style is noticeable in the gilded decor..
Classic-style furniture takes up a lot of space, so the room should be spacious enough
Individual pieces of furniture in a classic design can create a luxurious atmosphere.
But such furniture has common features:
- the use of natural materials;
- impeccable quality;
- high price.
Of course, such an acquisition can significantly hit your pocket. But the costs will pay off with interest, since headsets made of real wood:
- never lose their relevance;
- look elegant.
Classic in the bedroom
Probably, there is no better style for the bedroom than the classic. The elegance of the design and the moderation of colors create ideal opportunities for complete relaxation and rejuvenation. Therefore, crazy design experiments with an abundance of colors and imbalances are hardly suitable for a bedroom. A not too pompous project of the room will look more advantageous, but with a hint of nobility and well-being.
A modest hint of wealth and the triumph of nobility is appropriate in the bedroom.
Floor and table vases with live plants or flowers will be a good addition to the bedroom interior.
It must be remembered that peace, silence and tranquility should reign in the bedroom. Only in such an atmosphere does it become possible to forget the worries of the day and thoroughly rest. If the room allows, then the design can be supplemented with columns. The bedroom will become much more comfortable if you paste over the walls with wallpaper in pastel colors..
The general atmosphere of the bedroom should be conducive to a comfortable rest and protect from the everyday hustle and bustle
The most optimal options for the color palette:
- sky blue;
- moss green color;
- pale turquoise.
Preference in color design is given to noble tones
The ideal floor finish is wooden parquet. Furniture must comply with the canons of style – natural materials, rounded backs and headboards, soft colors, expensive natural upholstery. There is complete harmony in the constellation, no chaos and asymmetry.
Classic in the living room: how to independently arrange a guest room in a classic style?
Often the layouts of standard apartments are so small that it is not so easy to create an authentic design in a classic style. We have to resort to various stylization techniques. The owners of spacious dwellings are more fortunate. Dimensional apartments are ideal for the embodiment of design in accordance with all the rules and principles.
For central lighting of a classic-style room, crystal chandeliers are most often used.
Wall, ceiling and floor decoration
The walls need to be leveled. Their surface must be perfectly flat. For decoration, you can use different materials – wallpaper, plaster, special fabric. If the volume of the room allows, then it is better to make the walls textured. For this, details of geometric shapes are used – plaster bas-reliefs, rosettes, moldings. But in small rooms, it is important not to get too carried away with such a decor. It takes up a lot of space.
Wallpaper should be plain and have a soft texture.
The ceiling is also leveled before finishing. A ceiling space is a great place to decorate a room. Stucco moldings, borders with patterns, cornices, frescoes, pilasters are welcome. Ceiling color – white, milky or ivory. Acceptable options are frosty frost, pastel shades of a yellow palette.
The floor, according to the law of the genre, is made of wood or polished marble. Although marble flooring is rarely used due to its impracticality and high cost.
Furniture and textiles
High quality wooden furniture is selected. It is renowned for its high-backed comfort. Her appearance deserves no less respect. Depending on the era, it can be lavishly decorated with carvings, patina, or made in a more restrained format. The presence of blankets is not provided. They will cover all the luxury of upholstery. Often, the textile covering of furniture becomes an adornment not only of sofas and armchairs, but of the entire room. Gold-tone embroidery, tapestries with plant motifs and lush flowers form a beautiful composition that speaks of the owner’s prosperity.
The furniture in the living room is selected massive, from natural materials, with inlay and carving
Curtains – wide and long, can be fringed or on garters
Textiles complete the look. It should be status and effective, made of flowing, heavy fabrics, beautifully draped. Previously, deep, rich shades of cherry, purple, blue were selected for him. Today, preferences have shifted towards light colors. Curtains are an indispensable element of the decor. They are often laid in loops with large tassels, decorated with lambrequins, folds.
Large mirrors in frames with gilding, decorated with ornaments from the ancient past, will help to complement the picture. It would be nice to equip the living room with a real or decorative fireplace. Antiques play an important role – antique clocks, figurines, paintings in gilded frames, painted porcelain or crystal vases. But you need to be careful with these interior nuances. They can completely absorb the space of the room, making it too pretentious, tasteless and uncomfortable. It is better to dilute the austerity of the design with one or two items of baroque luxury..
Noble design for the kitchen
A classic style kitchen is about comfort, style and a festive atmosphere. In the design of the kitchen according to the principles of the classics, the same laws apply as for other rooms. The only thing to consider is functionality. This is the main condition for the room in which food is prepared, food is stored, dishes are washed, and in some cases lunches and dinners are held. Therefore, it is better to order furniture in advance, into which it will be possible to build in all the equipment..
Classic style kitchen set looks great due to the use of natural wood
A classic kitchen should be primarily functional, but it is better to hide the technique “behind a screen of luxury”
Moderately festive and at the same time cozy atmosphere of the kitchen emphasizes the exquisite taste of the owners of the house
The abundance of cabinets and drawers will also be a plus – they will accommodate all the dishes and kitchen utensils. A delicate, non-annoying palette of walls, cozy parquet on the floor, a fashionable set with a marble top, embroidered textiles – all this will give the kitchen a unique grace and solemnity..
Neoclassicism – a new look at the classics in modern interiors
A classic interior in a modern design – this is neoclassicism. This design combines established traditions and new ideas. Elements of the classics should be clearly visible in one room, which are harmoniously combined with original and non-standard solutions..
Modern objects and materials are used in the neoclassical interior
It also uses traditional classical elements – arches, pilasters and columns.
There are several signs by which you can determine that in front of you is a neoclassical room..
- Nothing extra. There is no abundance of decor, the space is not crowded with furniture, is not loaded with anything unnecessary.
- Moderate tones. The color scheme without catchy shades, close to the softest, natural combinations.
- Proportions and measured lines. All space is subject to the laws of geometry. No asymmetry, only well-defined harmony.
Unlike the usual classics, there is no unnecessary high cost and flashy elegance.
The presence of the reference classics is a prerequisite. Stucco or columns, mirrors or classic furniture will do. Something primordially classic must certainly appear in the design of the room. It’s not for nothing that the style is called neoclassical..
Video: an overview of the interior of a house in a classic style
Photo: interior design options in a classic style