How to use kitsch in the interior
The birth of the kitsch style is associated with the turn of the XIX-XX centuries. Bad taste, trash and cheap – these concepts in no way reflect the entire content of kitsch. Called “pseudo-art”, kitsch exists and develops in many directions and industries, from interior design to architecture.
Only brave and creative people, rebels by nature, can allow kitsch in the interior.
A bit of history
The concept came from Germany, this is how German designers defined something visually insipid. In the 1950s, he experienced a rebirth. J. Baudrillard – philosophical ideologist of kitsch, the progenitor of a whole movement of artists for the preference of the concept over the appearance.
Kitsch was originally an example of bad taste.
Later, kitsch was formed as a style that denies the classical canons.
For almost 100 years, the word “kitsch” was pronounced in a half-whisper and was considered almost abusive. E. Warhol and K. Oldenburg used kitsch as a style device. The principle of lack of principles by F. Johnson is the motto of postmodernism, and at the same time kitsch as one of its parts. Only with the advent of the XXI century, kitsch began to be perceived as a full-fledged style in the interior. Symbolizes joining the culture of the upper class.
Kitsch interior design directions
The main principle is disharmony. The lack of color and style combinations is typical of kitsch. Disorder is better for him than orderly appeasement..
Kitsch is easily recognized by the mixture of objects that should not be next to the logic of other styles.
Bright aggressive red walls are a very bold solution for the interior of a study
Features of the kitsch style
- Dissonance of shapes and colors, a visible lack of obvious harmony, loudness, pretentiousness.
- A mix of conflicting materials and elements, such as plastic and velvet.
- An excess of romantic, childish, cute, decorative attributes like ruffles, bows, flowers, including artificial.
- Mandatory gilding wherever possible, fakes and imitations.
- Flashy colors and their unexpected contrasting combinations, such as purple and lemon, raspberry and neon, etc..
In the interior of kitsch, it is customary to combine pastel shades with bright, acidic tones.
One room can contain classic and avant-garde furniture
There are three types of style in modern design:
- Lumpen kitsch, which was born out of want and poverty, from the desire to equip life with any taste, despite the lack of material resources.
Lumpen kitsch in the interior of a small living room
- Pseudo-luxurious style – characterized by a lack of taste and the presence of cash investments. Characterized by the fragmentation of cultural layers and the counterfeiting of genuine objects in the name of surrounding oneself with everything that pleases, in a haphazard and disorderly manner. The desire to show one’s own characteristics and emphasize non-standard thinking is expressed in what can be scientifically designated as “kitsch”.
Pseudo-luxurious kitsch in the living room
- Designer – characterized by deliberate bad taste, which actually hides a carefully thought-out image. The master designer keeps the interior riot under control, preventing it from breaking through and filling the space.
Only designer kitsch, created on purpose, can be considered a true interior style.
Distinctive features of “kitsch” in different interiors
Kitsch in the interior is a triumph of tastelessness. Flashiness, loudness, mannerism, vulgarity – none of these definitions will reflect deeply and capaciously the content of the concept. This is not a demonstration of bad taste, but rather a parody, a claim to originality, a challenge to the familiar, a provocation of public opinion.
Everything in the room should be excessive – colors, decorations and furniture
Excessive throw pillows, stuffed toys, or artificial flowers are common
This style has no rules, no consistency, no common features. He expresses freedom and triumphs from its splendor. Pseudohistoricism provides a worthy alternative and competes with modern reality. This is a caricature of the style, a kind of parody, shocking and confusing the usual attitude to life..
Kitsch in the living room of a modern apartment is the most common. It is the living rooms and studio spaces that are most suitable. Combining many functions, rooms turn into accumulations of a wide variety of things and objects.
Many consider this style to be a parody of luxury and wealthy life.
Here we see a parody of the romantic interior of the bedroom – instead of carved elements, the bed is decorated with plastic decorations
Kitsch-style interior decoration can touch the kitchen, nursery or bedroom, but rarely. At home, any room will turn into kitsch if you try hard.
In a teenager’s room, a rebellious spirit can manifest itself in the form of graffiti on the walls.
A bedroom with “flashy” colors of the walls and ceiling in the style of kitsch for people who just need to break every imaginable rule
The main signs that you have a kitsch-style interior in front of you:
- house fountain;
- columns and balusters in an apartment with low ceilings, stucco and busts;
- all kinds of imitations “under”:
– under a tree (plastic),
– marbled (linoleum),
– under crystal (glass),
– under the skin (dermantin),
– under gold (gilding),
– “semi-antique”, etc .;
- reproductions of famous paintings, next to them are posters, posters, vinyl records;
The symbolic archetype of the kitsch style in the interior can be considered a pink pillow, decorated with hand embroidery, lying on a green plastic armchair, which stands under a Renaissance painting hanging on a wall of rough logs.
Lilac, pink, deep yellow – the living room has a typical kitsch color palette
This room is overwhelmed with accessories creating the necessary chaos.
The style is not “carried away” by creative searches and finds, its destiny is ready-made samples, recognizable and popular, banal and widespread. The mechanism of aesthetic influence is in the analogy that the unconscious draws between what the rich have (according to their ideas and experience) and what they have at home.
All the colors of the rainbow are mixed here, and posters with bright drawings are used for the ceiling decoration.
How to “bring” into the home interior
It is not easy and not difficult to create kitsch at home – desire and funds will help you with this. It is worth taking a close look at furniture and walls, decoration and accessories: which of them is combined and in harmony with each other, and which openly contradicts? Enhancing contrasts by moving them closer or placing them side by side, or making bright accents on a dull monochrome background, is not enough. New, original ideas are needed – gizmos found at flea markets and antique stores.
A kitsch-style interior can be “sculpted” from almost any material
The choice of materials and decoration is limited only by the designer’s imagination
Combining the incongruous is the surest way to achieve interior decoration in this style..
In the living room, you can put an armchair of unthinkable colors
Or a large pink sofa on plastic legs – a parody of rich leather furniture with forged elements
- paint the walls with spray paint from cans, using different colors;
- cover part of the floor with oriental-style ceramic tiles;
- put a carpet on the floor, consisting of several pieces of different colors;
- put large pots of palm perennials against the walls;
- make stucco inserts or imitation of columns on the walls;
- hang plastic curtains and put screens;
- make partitions from lightweight decorative materials inside one room, etc..
In general, the kitsch style in the interior is more suitable for young people. The older generation will instantly create a dump of things and a heap of old things at home, and the young will make sure that everything old is thrown away and replaced with a new one in a timely manner. The negative side also has a right to exist. Everyone has their own idea of the beauty of everyday life. The pleasure of refuting the usual authorities sometimes prevails even over the inconvenience of everyday life..
True kitsch is deliberate disharmony, ridicule and irony.
Kitsch can be liked or rejected, but in any case, this style is impressive.
This style is an integral part of modern culture. It is considered a combination of classics, country and futurism. The leading trend of the crisis era has every chance of becoming a full-fledged hyper-style of art. A kind of neo-version of mannerism, kitsch operates with familiar things, taken out of their context and placed in the absolutely opposite. This is the first sign that the culture of the surrounding world is increasingly turning into a culture of consumption..
Video: Kitsch as a philosophy of home improvement without rules
Photo: 50 kitsch-style interiors