How to use a nautical style in the interior
According to psychologists, marine elements in the interior of the house help to quickly forget unpleasant moments in life, to defeat melancholy. To create a cozy, picturesque indoor environment, it is not necessary to use a pool, palm trees and sand, it is enough to correctly emphasize the advantages and choose stylish accessories.
Marine style will add freshness, lightness to the interior and evoke pleasant memories of a vacation on the seashore
Three principles on which the “nautical interior” is based
In the last 2-4 years, the nautical style in the interior has been the most demanded by designers. The owners of city apartments and country houses, who choose it, argue this with the opportunity to be in a place 24 a day that reminds of carefree rest, travel and adventure.
To understand the principle of nautical design, you need to consider the design of the yacht’s interior. The materials will immediately be visible, without which the marine interior cannot be.
This style is based on the following details:
- Blue and white stripe, which may be present in finishes, textiles and decor.
- Light wood.
- Items directly related to the sea – stones, shells, old chests.
The general color scheme of the nautical style
Even having an idea of what details a nautical-style setting should consist of, it is almost impossible to create a single harmonious combination without the help of a professional..
Basics of creation
The motto of the casual marine style in the interior is purity and simplicity down to the smallest detail. It is based on several principles:
- The color scheme is light, soft, using exclusively natural colors. The most popular tone is white, the second place is shared by blue and blue, yellow-beige and gray pastel shades can also be used. To dilute the blue and white color scheme, it is possible to use red blotches..
- Materials for surface finishing are as similar to natural ones as possible. It could be stone on the floor, jute wallpaper, or paint on the walls. Bleached wood looks very stylish, and it is not necessary to use natural material, laminate is also suitable.
- Room lighting should not be too pretentious and pompous. It is enough to attach simple aluminum shades to the ceiling.
- Furniture shouldn’t attract attention. An aged set in a gray-beige palette will look best, but with bright splashes (for example, a detail of the cabinet door can be highlighted in blue or one chair can be painted with azure paint).
The room should have a lot of light shades to reflect sunlight.
Textiles and decor when decorating an interior in a nautical style should emphasize simplicity and lightness. To achieve this effect, it is worth using canvas elements (for example, rugs), light flowing fabrics of a milky shade.
Where nautical style is acceptable
The marine interior will be relevant, fashionable and practical both in a city apartment and in a country house of any size. But if the choice fell on just such a topic, you should not get carried away: psychologists and designers do not recommend using this style for several rooms or for housing in general. In order to maintain psychological stability in a house decorated in a nautical style, it is better to equip just one room.
To unite all rooms with a common concept, you can use separate decorative elements in a marine theme
The marine theme loves open spaces, so it is great for a country house
White, blue and blue are the main colors that are used to create a marine interior, but to complete the picture, they are diluted with beige, brown, and sometimes red. Often, blue is replaced with heavenly, and blue is indigo or ultramarine, which looks stylish and modern..
In fact, the color palette of the marine theme is very diverse. The shades of the water alone change depending on the time of day and weather conditions.
Natural materials for comfort
If we talk about natural materials when creating a marine interior, one cannot be limited solely to oak or pine boards. It is also worth using:
- Metal parts, best of all, if they are made of brass (for example, door or cabinet handles, lamp bases).
- Textured textiles from burlap, canvas, matting.
- Natural leather of light shades can play the role of furniture upholstery, used in decor.
In the interior, wooden beams or wall cladding with boards look good
The perfect nautical style in the interior is impossible without wood floors, panels and slightly aged furniture. Natural material is also appropriate in the form of shelves.
No matter how the interior in the nautical style is improved, it will still be more vintage than modern. That is why the most suitable set for him is wicker and wooden wardrobes, cabinets, armchairs and chairs. If a sofa or bed is planned to be installed in the room, then their upholstery should be combined with the color of the walls. It is best if the couch is covered with removable covers and complemented by decorative pillows in a nautical style, decorated with stripes in the form of anchors, stars or a ship’s rudder.
Furniture and textiles must be natural
Wooden or wicker furniture fits perfectly into the marine style.
Expressive details: DIY decor items
Nice little things create a comfortable atmosphere in the rooms. To decorate an apartment in a nautical style, it is not necessary to spend a lot of money on purchased decor, many details are easily created with your own hands. For example, common shellfish collected from the coast can be spray painted with pearlescent paint. A photo frame decorated in a marine style with shells of various shapes, oceanic stars and large pieces of salt will look beautiful and unusual. To make the frame even more unusual, you can glue it over with a voluminous jute thread, and attach seashells and multi-colored stones on top. Similar to the frame, you can decorate the frame for the mirror.
For interior decoration, you can use everything that evokes associations with the sea.
You can make an aged display cabinet and place in it sea trophies brought from trips
Candlesticks in a nautical style will also look original, where paraffin will be poured into an empty flat shell. To make the atmosphere as comfortable as possible, you can make a wooden house with shelves that will house cute knick-knacks. You can even create furniture in a marine style with your own hands, for example, a coffee table. Just for this, a table with a glass top will fit, under which you can lay out sailor attributes..
In which rooms the nautical theme is relevant
No one will be surprised by the fact that the marine interior is successfully created in any room – from the kitchen to the bedroom. Even a balcony or loggia is transformed into a small piece of paradise, reminiscent of a holiday on the sunny coast. Such a solution is not suitable only for a corridor or hallway, which have a small area..
For a hallway without windows, white walls are suitable as the main color and a little blue accent on individual surfaces
The nuances of creating the interior of the living room and bedroom
Everyone understands that when remodeling a living room or bedroom in a nautical style, you definitely need to find a place for white, azure and ultramarine details, but how to harmoniously decorate a room, many should learn a little more. The main thing is not to overdo it with color, choosing lighter shades..
Preference is given to soothing colors, natural fabrics and wooden furniture
When decorating a living room in a nautical style, it is enough to apply the following solutions:
- Spread out on the sofa or armchairs pillows in the shape of ocean stars, preferably brick-colored.
- Set up an aquarium with variegated fish and lush algae.
- The original vintage decor always finds its place in the nautical style: old chests and wicker baskets. They can serve as a decoration or storage place for useful little things..
Pillows with a nautical print are ideal for decorating the interior of the living room
Nautical bedroom design with striped curtains and linens
When decorating a living room in a nautical style, simple trifles brought from vacation are extremely useful: shells of mollusks, stones of unusual colors and shapes. They can decorate the wood shelves on the walls. When creating a bedroom in a nautical style, techniques are used that are relevant for the living room. The only caveat is that in the bedroom you should not clutter up the bed with a lot of pillows, it is enough to choose bed linen in a white, cornflower blue or blue-blue color palette.
A nautical theme in the kitchen
The nautical-style kitchen is suitable for those who cannot live without the sound of the surf, sandy beach and paradise peace among the palm trees. To create an unbeatable environment, you should follow these recommendations:
- It is better to finish the walls with wooden clapboard, like the cladding of a ship. It is beautiful and practical..
- The floor should be covered with wooden planks, parquet or light-colored laminate.
- A nautical-style kitchen apron can be made a bright highlight by choosing a bright blue mosaic tile for its decoration.
- It is better to hide all household appliances.
Original ceiling lamp made of marine rope
The nautical idea of your interior will be emphasized by the table setting. The choice of the service depends on what kind of image you need – solemn for a festive feast or sincere for an evening tea party.
A lot of light is also relevant for a nautical kitchen. Good daylight can be achieved through well-chosen textiles: it is best to close the windows with translucent tulle or an unbleached linen curtain. Also, a kitchen in a nautical style must be decorated with shells, stones, you can put a pot with live stones – lithops on the windowsill.
A piece of the sea in the nursery
For children, the sea is associated with fabulousness, adventure and carelessness, so creating a nursery in a marine style is quite common. The most interesting thing will look like a room in the form of a cabin, in which there is a bunk bed, a hammock (if space allows), ropes and many thematic attributes.
For a boy’s room, a design in combination with white and dark blue is suitable.
For a girl, it is better to decorate the room in softer shades.
To make the setting more realistic, it is worth sticking murals depicting the sunny coast on the walls. A blue or ultramarine carpet on the floor will look stylish and relevant for this style. But if the child is under 3 years old, then it is likely that the coating will have to be cleaned every week. In this case, a high-pile rug is better..
Such a homemade mirror in the form of a fish will perfectly fit into the interior of a nursery or bedroom.
Seven design mistakes
Many amateurs in the field of design are sure that to form a marine interior, it is enough to glue white and blue wallpaper, arrange pebbles on the bedside tables and arrange armchairs made of vine around the room. This is probably why the most serious mistakes are made:
- The predominance of blue, which will appear black at night. The optimal percentage of dark colors in the marine style of the interior is 20%.
- Furniture clutter – cabinets, chairs and cabinets should be multifunctional.
- The use of plastic PVC panels is unacceptable for a kitchen or bathroom in a nautical style, only wooden lining is appropriate.
- The use of simple wooden furniture, for example – banal chairs and stools. It is better to replace them with rattan chairs..
- A minimum of decor will not give the interior in a nautical style that romance and mystery that it requires.
- Heavy curtains and curtains on the windows, as well as regular blinds. For a room that should resemble the coast, it is better to choose a light translucent tulle or roman shades of light shades..
- Wallpaper with a pattern – even if they have cornflower blue, gray or azure blotches, fanciful monograms or small drawings on the walls of a room in a nautical style will look tasteless.
Stylish decor in a nautical interior
It is also important to choose the right indoor plants: both flowering pelargoniums and saintpaulias will better emphasize the tenderness and simplicity of Provence, and various palm trees will complement the stylish design of a room in a marine style. When choosing indoor plants, you should pay attention to hovea, rapis and fan washingtonia..
How to equip a bathroom
The bathroom is a place that is always associated with water, blue-blue colors and relaxation. That is why a bathroom in a marine style always looks relevant and bright..
Bathroom interior with a successful combination of turquoise color with sandy shades
The table shows the best solutions for creating a stylish and modern bathroom environment..
| Important details
Creative name of the rework
|Ceiling||Walls||Floor||Furniture, textiles, decor|
|“On the crests of a wave”||Ultramarine glossy curtain||Ceramic tiles: 30-40 cm from the ceiling – white, further to the floor – heavenly. It is best to create a smooth transition between colors.||Cobalt blue ceramic tiles with 3-D wave effect||Sideboards made of wooden boards, an alder rug, a large mirror without a frame|
|“Romantic Islands”||Light turquoise paint||Turquoise Mosaic Tile||Turquoise Mosaic Tile||Plumbing, furniture and decor are all in white. You can create a bright scarlet accent, for example, the mirror frame above the sink can become it.|
|“Adventure on a ship”||2- or 3-tier hinged structure in beige and brown colors||Beige tiles||Dark beige tiles||Dark wood furniture, cabinet doors in the form of a wooden mesh, mirror in the frame of the steering wheel, brown plumbing|
Wall decoration in the bathroom with marine-themed photomurals
Wooden beams add Mediterranean touches to the bathroom
Video: DIY marine decor
Photos of rooms with a marine interior