Decorative brick in the interior: choosing a style
Decorative brick is an imitation of brickwork, with which the wall is finished instead of wallpaper, plaster, wood. Many will say that such material is uncomfortable, as if we are on the street and not indoors. Others will argue: this is also a plus that due to the contrast of cold stone and warm carpet, a cozy sofa and beautiful curtains, style is created. The more pleasant it becomes warm and soft when there is an aggressive brick wall nearby..
Decorative stone is perfect for decorating the walls of the living room.
This is what a decorative stone looks like in the interior of a room.
Decorative stone wall
This finish is appropriate for any room: part of the hallway, wall in the kitchen or bedroom, living room. Brick must be combined with something: most often with plaster or plain wallpaper, this creates a greater emphasis on the masonry pattern. Possible finishing and parts of the wall: corner, doorway, electric fireplace.
Such material can be of any color: more often it is red or white, as natural, it can be dyed, and the variety of such coatings is wide, and you can choose a more pleasant shade for your eye. Such a brick can be the same color as the walls, for example, white, can contrast with other surfaces, separating one area of the living room from another.
Loft – brickwork, reminiscent of the outer wall of an old house. It gives the impression that you are not in an apartment on the 10th floor, but in a century-old building of an abandoned factory. Such an aggressive style can be supplemented with rough wood floors, the more contrasting bright rugs, soft sofas, clean pillows, and home flowers will look in such an interior. But many types of indoor plants can complement the impression of abandonment, these include vines and ivy..
Wall decoration can be done with decorative stone
Decorative stone will perfectly complement the decor of the room.
Country – more neat masonry, semi-antique, but looking at it does not become as unbearably sad as in the loft style. Here the brick is lighter, more beautifully laid, it seems that we are in the attic of a cozy old European house. The impression is complemented by massive wooden beams on the ceiling. Country style can be decorated as an apron in the kitchen, as well as a wall in the bedroom or a fireplace in the living room..
Hi-tech – suitable for interiors with geometrically correct proportions, pure monochromatic colors. These are white or gray perfectly shaped rectangles that give the room a business style – here you no longer look like in fluffy orange slippers, here minimalism is combined with the correctness of shapes.
English style – we are in a cozy house in an English village. A large kitchen, connected to the hall, is finished with neat brick. The sun is shining on the street, sheep are walking in the green fields. Antique buffets, lots of natural wood turn this room into an old fairy tale, where giants and forest fairies live around the bend.
The design of the room is made in one color scheme
The fireplace can be overlaid with a decorative stone, it will look very beautiful
Living room design with decorative stone wall decoration
The main types of imitation bricks for interior decoration
Brick wallpaper is a budget, and at the same time an interesting option. It is easier to stick them on the wall, you can calculate the required number of rolls right in the store. There are more options here: leaves and flowers can be added to the wallpaper, but it is recommended to glue them only in small areas, otherwise a repeating pattern will be visible. However, upon closer inspection, it will be seen that this is just a picture with a minimal texture..
The walls of the corridor are decorated with decorative stone
Wall corners can be made with decorative stone
Decorative panels – plastic panels are not afraid of water, dirt, they are attached to the surface with self-tapping screws. A good option for a balcony, where temperature drops and humidity have a bad effect on the wallpaper, or for the kitchen, since they are not afraid of any pollution and are easy to clean. Bulky, not expensive, easy-to-install brick panels are a good option if you want to finish a small part or area of the room.
Brick-like tiles, or clinker tiles, are more expensive and more difficult to install, but they are more durable, they are not afraid of any mechanical damage, they are resistant to dirt. And most importantly, this surface even up close looks like a natural material, surprising guests with its uniqueness.
A large clock against a brick wall will look stylish
It’s a great idea to place your TV on a brick wall background.
A brick wall will perfectly complement the interior
Advantages of decorative bricks
Originality – your friends have nothing like this, boring wallpapers do not catch your eye, but you really want to catch the admiring glances of guests;
Stylishness – with the help of such a fireplace you will give the room a special comfort, which is so lacking in cold, dark winters;
Durability – such a coating will last for many years, will not peel off, will not fall off, will not fade, and in ten years will look the same as now;
Good heat and sound insulation due to thick and non-uniform layer.
White decorative brick will perfectly complement the interior
A wall made of decorative bricks will look very beautiful
Decorative brick: types
Decorative brick for interior decoration should be distinguished from decorative stone. The stone, natural or artificial, does not have an even rectangular shape and creates a more “wild” interior, reminiscent of a medieval castle.
Clinker brick is a natural imitation of a brick and contains clay. Perhaps the only difference is the thickness and slightly greater accuracy than that of the building material. It has a high resistance to mechanical damage and temperature, therefore it is suitable for facing balconies.
Gypsum decorative brick is not an expensive material; you can make it yourself. It can be smooth or corrugated, white initially, can be tinted at the manufacturing stage or after installation. It can be broken, but if we are not going to throw anything heavy at the wall, it is good for rooms.
Decorative bricks can be painted in various colors
When decorating walls with decorative bricks, the main thing is to do everything in one style.
Decorative brick in the interior looks very unusual
Ceramic decorative bricks have the same properties as imitation wall tiles. Unlike gypsum, it is not afraid of moisture, it is very strong, it is almost impossible to break it. Only the material made of porcelain stoneware, which is used for finishing both internal and external premises, can be stronger..
The technology for working with decorative imitations depends on their type. Wallpaper is glued to a flat wall using special glue, plastic panels are attached to the wall using screws, self-tapping screws or nails. Clinker, gypsum, ceramic and porcelain stoneware tiles are fixed on a cement or special adhesive mortar, as for any type of tile. The use of cross-shaped beacons depends on whether you want to leave a distance between the “bricks”, if not, the material consumption will be higher.
A wall made of decorative bricks will perfectly complement the interior
Wall decor can be made from decorative stone
Homemade options for decorating walls for brickwork
- Homemade gypsum brick is a beautiful, original material, easy to create.
- Plain foam with melted edges and an uneven surface, attached to the wall and covered with a layer of paint will be a good imitation. Cheap, fast, beautiful.
- Plastering walls using a stencil – in this case, the surface will be too neat, but if you like an unobtrusive drawing on a plain wall, this is your option.
- The second option is to apply a picture with masking tape on damp plaster, push it a little and remove – a relief will appear.
A sofa against a brick wall will look practical
In large rooms, wall decoration can be done with decorative bricks.
Wall decoration in the corridor can be made of decorative bricks
Decorative brick for interior decoration and its application
Where can such original material be used??
- A room completely finished with brick. The best option is white: the room does not seem too cold and gloomy, and the unobtrusive relief is a good decoration.
- A brick wall is the best option for a wall behind a TV or a wall with utensils.
- Decorating a separate area – for example, an area with a sofa and a TV in a large living room, or a kitchen area in a studio apartment will look very nice.
- Columns – if your apartment has protruding columns – this is possible in monolithic houses after redevelopment – they will look good with a similar finish. The ideal option would be a combination with a wall in the same style..
- The openings between the windows, decorated with brick, will go well with the columns.
- The corners are often trimmed with a similar material, especially in the hallway – this strengthens the wall, which is touched by scratching the wallpaper, and visually changes the correct geometry and numerous corners of modern hallways and corridors.
- Finishing the loggia or balcony with bricks. If this finishing material looks uncomfortable in the living room, then a balcony with greenery outside the window and a soft sofa will be one of your favorite places in your apartment..
- Brick-like facing tiles for interior decoration have been used quite recently. Originally this material was used for the construction of houses, it is the outer layer of buildings. After that, finishing appeared – you can build from anything, and apply a beautiful finish on top solely for aesthetic purposes. But then the views on generally accepted norms were revised, and street style entered our house, firmly settling in the hearts of many adherents of this style..
- Brickwork is beautiful, natural, concise and simple, it is voluminous and available in various variations and colors. However, an interior with a similar decor needs to be thought out very carefully – it is not a cheap material, it is difficult to install, and it will be difficult to remake an unsuccessful design project. Not like tearing off old wallpaper and sticking new.
Such a wall will perfectly complement the decor.
White brick wall will perfectly complement the decor of the room.
Installation of decorative bricks
Installation should be carried out by specialists, as well as laying tiles, this activity takes practice. You can always try to make repairs yourself – just like pasting wallpaper, laying decorative bricks with due diligence can become real even for a beginner. For installation, you need to purchase all the necessary materials, dilute the cement mortar, apply it with a spatula to the wall and start laying. If you plan not to make gaps between the tiles, it should be borne in mind that the rectangles of the tiles are not perfectly even and if you do not follow this, the level may shift and the whole row will “float”.
Video: Glue decorative brick
50 photos of ideas for using decorative bricks in the interior: